British Gas Jobsworth

Transco was a gas transporter, now called National Grid UK. British Gas sell gas and deal with related services on the customers side of the meter. British Gas used to be the world's biggest integrated gas company with business interests in 54 countries. It covered everything from drilling for gas to domestic appliances. Now it is just a few call centres staffed by those that didn't pay enough attention at school and a man in a van with a spanner and a U gauge.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark wrote: > Transco was a gas transporter, now called National Grid UK.

I saw from an earlier post, I didn't realise they'd dropped the Transco bit from their name.

British Gas

Yes, I know. My mistake was thinking that the meter was part of the network infrastructure rather than the supplier's equipment - which still seems nuts, given the logic of splitting transport from sales.

Reply to
Bolted

I assume that your CORGI man will still fit a *flexible* pipe - the only difference from the existing one being that it won't be made of lead. So there shouldn't be a problem in attaching a new meter to it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

But according to Mr Stumbles (if I read it correctly), my side should be piped in solid pipework not flexi.

John

Reply to
John

It doesn't matter, because only one side needs to be flexible anyway.

Moreover, meters for domestic use (E6, U6 I believe) have a standard distance between the fittings (152.4mm) to facilitate easy swapouts by meter monkies.

Take a look at

and under the sections under Natural Gas

--> Meters and you will see meters, brackets etc. listed.

Really all you need to do is call the CORGI man, explain that you will have a new meter fitted, but that you need him to sort out the pipework on the user's side of the meter.

Reply to
Andy Hall
< snip >

I would expect insurance to cover just about every possibility - including the consequences of employees "breaking the rules". A company exposed to such potentially horrendous consequences if something goes wrong would be potty not to have adequate cover.

Reply to
Martin

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:41:30 -0000, a particular chimpanzee, "John" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Interesting (well, to me anyway). Within the same conversation we have two different terms for cash-in-hand work.

In Liverpool and Manchester (and presumably, the North West), it's known as a 'foreigner' or 'doing a foreigner' [1]. When I lived in Yorkshire, it was a 'guvvy' apparently derived from 'Government Work'. In Somerset it's known as a 'PJ' for 'private job'.

Are there any other regional variations?

[1] It doesn't come from Irish at least. I remember I was with a colleague from Ulster who didn't know what I meant when I was speaking to a member of the great unwashed in Liverpool about 'doing a foreigner'. I suspect 'doing a foreigner' in the early 1990's in her part of the world might have meant something different and would involve a lot of plastic sheets and a JCB.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula

There are really two versions of this. One is where the job/project is done for AN Other for cash or other favours, under the tax radar. The other where it is something done as a project for oneself using one or more of employer facilities, time or materials.

In my early career in electronics, the latter were known as Home Office Projects or simply Homers. Actually they were encouraged within reason because they often involved trying things out that would later be of benefit to the company.

Reply to
Andy Hall

"John" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I get my

jobsworth

not do it

suit. I

get BG to

pipe - the

be made of

meter to it.

side should

No a flexi pipe on the user side is ok and can in fact be desirable depending on location of meter and soundness of the wall it will be fitted to.

John{no4}

Reply to
John

= 6 inches?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I find that sort of thing interesting as well.

Never heard 'guvvy' or 'PJ' in common use in the south east or London. PJ would indicate pyjamas if anything. Rarely heard it called a foreigner either. 'Cash in hand' is a common term.

More common would be phrases like 'there's a drink in it for you' or 'I'll give you a drink'.

Then of course there are variations; a drink, a good drink, a large drink etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It would cover his employer, but probably not him. In other words, the insurance company might be entitled to recover from him.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. Much more...

Reply to
Andy Hall

I find it interesting as well.

The term "foreigner" is alive and well in Yorkshire although it tends to mean using your firms tools (and most probably the parts as well) to do a job that the firm have never seen (eg. my aprentice wiring his nextdoor neighbours extension). The term "private" is used in the same way.

It is a long time since I heard "guvvy" used and I have lived in Yorkshire nearly all my life. That phrase tended (IMHO) to be used as the extras that the sparks/plumber did whilst at work for cash in hand (the new light fittings, outside taps etc). The "guvvy" work was usually done in the firms time as well.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I always thought that it meant someone from Lancashire :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was once offered "the wife for the night" in return for some work. I declined as I do not accept predecimal currency.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

ARWadworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

did the currency in question know about this proposition?

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

================================== 'Cash-in-hand' is often used for payments made to casual labourers on farms, building sites etc. I think this kind of workforce was referred to as 'the lump' when it was employed in the building trade.

'Cash-in-hand foreigner' (a bit of a tautology, really) or just 'foreigner' seems generally to mean a tradesman or other worker using either or both his firm's time and tools /equipment to do a job for someone which isn't authorised by the firm, without the knowledge of the firm and for which the firm gets no part of the payment.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I suspect any work outside that authorised would not be covered. The fitter would be the one left holding the baby. Insurance companies are not noted for being philanthropic institutions

Reply to
alert

Just 'cash job' here in Norfolk Though I did hear recently 'off invoice'.

Reply to
Mark