bricked up fireplace

How to I go about unbricking a fireplace?

Reply to
Howard

Bash it with a big hammer!!

Reply to
Nick Brooks

yup, and just be ready with a shovel and a decent vacuum for all of the debris that will undoubtedly have accumulated behind it!

There shoudl be a steel arch or a lintel at the top of the opening, if there isn't then I think it needs to be re-instated.

If it's a terraced house you (as in OP) might want to warn your neighbours about the noise - I managed to upset our neighbour a year or so ago when I removed the bricks with a cold chisel and lump hammer in the middle of songs of praise..... :-)

Anyone know whether a chimney breast constitutes part of the party wall? I've read through various FAQs on the matter and it is not mentioned explicitly anywhere, which is odd as I thought it would have been an obvious question.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

"RichardS" wrote | I managed to upset our neighbour a year or so ago when I | removed the bricks with a cold chisel and lump hammer in | the middle of songs of praise..... :-)

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It depends on the design of the chimney. I would think that only the part you share is a party wall. Here's 2 common layouts showing just one flue per side.

# = party wall @ = non party wall

- = fireplace opening

Chimney with flues in line with party wall:

Chimney with flues offset from party wall:

I have the second type, but two flues wide, rather than one, for upstairs and downstairs. Typically, the more central flue is given over to the downstairs fireplace to allow a central positioning of a pretty fireplace. The flue from this then is pushed over to one side, but often not enough to still allow a central positioning upstairs.

AIUI, the first type is more common, as it leads to shallower alcoves and a wider, more pleasing, chimney breast. OTOH, the second type makes it much easier to make alterations (i.e. removal), as only your own flues protrude across the property dividing line.

OTOH, this is only my guess. The law may state something different.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle