What size vent for bricked-up fireplace?

While refurbing a bedroom I'm taking the opportunity to fit a vent in the bricked-up fireplace. How big should this be? I was thinking of a half-brick size, covered with one of those white plastic brick vents. Adequate? (the horrible way the bricking up seems to have done makes a full-brick size a bit awkward)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Why not fit it outside then your room will be warmer.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

You mean in the back of the chimney breast? Considered that, but decided the neighbours might be a bit pissed off (we live in a semi...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Ah, so do I but chimneys on the other side :-)

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

I've found the draw on a chimney is so huge just about any size will do.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

I suspect it's not so critical for a chimney which is not on an outside wall. Chimneys on outside walls are much more of an issue. I used a full air brick at the bottom and half a brick cut out of the flue into the loft, and that has kept a chimney on an outside wall dry, which was wringing wet before it had full ventilation (originally had just half an air brick at the bottom only, and capped/sealed at the top).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel