Plumbing vent problem

My toilet doesnt aways flush and I suspect it is a vent problem. The vent is in a wall opposite the toilet and 8ft away. Sometimes the toilet flushes OK and sometimes it doesnt.Everything in the toilet is working as it shoul d and sometimes it "belches" back up. Shower and lav which are on the same wall as the vent work well. Pipes are clear. The toilet is mounted an outsi de wall and there is a PVC cleanout there. I was thinking of installing a v ent off the cleanout but I dont know how to make the connection to the clea nout. The end of the cleanout is flush with the brick foundation. Advice ab out proper fittings to do this would help.

TIA Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

is in a wall opposite the toilet and 8ft away. Sometimes the toilet flushe s OK and sometimes it doesnt.Everything in the toilet is working as it shou ld and sometimes it "belches" back up. Shower and lav which are on the same wall as the vent work well. Pipes are clear. The toilet is mounted an outs ide wall and there is a PVC cleanout there. I was thinking of installing a vent off the cleanout but I dont know how to make the connection to the cle anout. The end of the cleanout is flush with the brick foundation. Advice a bout proper fittings to do this would help. TIA Jimmie

You probably have a wet vent on the toilet. The distance dictates the size it should be and maybe it is too small. The clean out will be a threaded plug. You can get a threaded male to replace the plug and carry on from th ere. Your problem is likely to be that any vent is supposed to rise above the roof line.

You could add a studor vent to your sink if it's in a cabinet. Maybe the a dditional venting in combination with the regular vetn would be enough to s olve your problem. Studor vents are pretty easy to add to a cabinet style sink.

Reply to
jamesgang

Before you do ANYTHING to your drain piping, you should ask yourself when the last time you had the main drain line cleared all the way from your house to the septic tank or sewer under the middle of the street you live on.

If you can't remember when that was done last, or if you don't know if it's ever been done, then you'd do well to have that done before you do anything else. The main drain line from your house gradually clogs up with solids mostly from your kitchen sink, and it's been my experience that a partially clogged main drain line cause more plumbing problems than anything else.

Also, in most cases, simply clearing the main drain line will clear up a plumbing problem, especially with problems with the toilet and/or clothes washer stand pipe backing up.

Also, don't phone the Rooter unless they have a drain clearing sale on. You can get the same job done for half the price if you phone around to the small companies that only have their name in the yellow pages phone book and not a full or half page ad. The rooter hires baby plumbers straight out of trade school to clear your drain. Those baby plumbers learn all the can about cleaning drains while working for the Rooter and eventually go to the Bank of Dad to borrow the money to start their own drain cleaning company. They realize that they can clear a drain for half what the Rooter charges and still make twice as much as the can on that drain working for the Rooter. If you hire a company with only their phone number listed in the Yellow Pages, it'll be a one-man company and the President and CEO of the company will come out to clear your drain, and he'll bring all 40 years of experience with him. The bottom line is that you'll get a better job done for a lower price.

Reply to
nestork

ent is in a wall opposite the toilet and 8ft away. Sometimes the toilet flu shes OK and sometimes it doesnt.Everything in the toilet is working as it s hould and sometimes it "belches" back up. Shower and lav which are on the s ame wall as the vent work well. Pipes are clear. The toilet is mounted an o utside wall and there is a PVC cleanout there. I was thinking of installing a vent off the cleanout but I dont know how to make the connection to the cleanout. The end of the cleanout is flush with the brick foundation. Advic e about proper fittings to do this would help.

How long have you had the problem, how old is the house, have you tried to clean the vent from the roof???? Too many things left unsaid.

Reply to
hrhofmann

vent is in a wall opposite the toilet and 8ft away. Sometimes the toilet f lushes OK and sometimes it doesnt.Everything in the toilet is working as it should and sometimes it "belches" back up. Shower and lav which are on the same wall as the vent work well. Pipes are clear. The toilet is mounted an outside wall and there is a PVC cleanout there. I was thinking of installi ng a vent off the cleanout but I dont know how to make the connection to th e cleanout. The end of the cleanout is flush with the brick foundation. Adv ice about proper fittings to do this would help.

Yes, running a snake or garden hose down the vent from the roof would be my first step.

Reply to
trader4

he vent is in a wall opposite the toilet and 8ft away. Sometimes the toilet flushes OK and sometimes it doesnt.Everything in the toilet is working as it should and sometimes it "belches" back up. Shower and lav which are on t he same wall as the vent work well. Pipes are clear. The toilet is mounted an outside wall and there is a PVC cleanout there. I was thinking of instal ling a vent off the cleanout but I dont know how to make the connection to the cleanout. The end of the cleanout is flush with the brick foundation. A dvice about proper fittings to do this would help.

As well as snaking the drain from toilet to main drain line. From the descriptionof the the venting it sounds liek the toilet has at least an 8' run to get to a larger pipe.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The vent is in a wall opposite the toilet and 8ft away. Sometimes the toil et flushes OK and sometimes it doesnt.Everything in the toilet is working a s it should and sometimes it "belches" back up. Shower and lav which are on the same wall as the vent work well. Pipes are clear. The toilet is mounte d an outside wall and there is a PVC cleanout there. I was thinking of inst alling a vent off the cleanout but I dont know how to make the connection t o the cleanout. The end of the cleanout is flush with the brick foundation. Advice about proper fittings to do this would help.

OP - What say you ?????

Reply to
hrhofmann