block paving over water pipes

I want to remove my concrete garden path and excavate and lay a block paving replacement. The mains water pipe runs under the area - I'm too sure yet at what depth.

What I wanted to know is how much cover over the pipe is considered safe when using a motorised compactor for the sub-base?

Reply to
Chris S

The main water pipe should be at least 18" below the surface, so shouldnt cause any interference at all to surface work. Gas pipes are more difficult IME. I have had one that was 6" below the surface, for around 3' from the house, where it went a lot deeper. Anything below a foot deep will not be bothered by what you are doing on the surface. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

At least an inch :;_

Mains water pipes are pretty tough.

If you are truly worried, dig down and lay load spreading concrete over them.

A typical hand whacker is really no big deal. It doesnt push down, it merely wiggles stuff sideways until it settles..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While you are at it lay a blue plastic water pipe and cap both ends, which is cheap stuff. If the existing one fails just connect up the reserve pipe and no digging. If the existing pipe is old then best to replace anyhow as you are doing work, with a larger bore pipe to give great water pressure & flow. Even so, still run a spare one next to it in case. Blue plastic pipe is cheap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel