Concrete over drylok?

I would like to apply an inch of hydraulic cement to a potential problem area on my basement wall. The wall currently has two coats of Drylok waterproofing paint on it. Would the concrete bond to this surface or should I try to remove the paint?

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

It sounds as if you are trying to stop water on the inside of the wall.

Best practices in order: Insure/improve positive drainage away from the structure. Eliminate flower beds, etc along building face. Pay particular attention to downspouts. Make sure water has a pathway off your property by drainage swale, storm piping, etc. Sumps and pumps as last resort.

Water proofing/damp proofing on the outside of walls

Exterior french drain system at the bottom of the wall. Needs to drain to daylight or sump. Daylight preferred if possible.

Exterior drainage plane like Enkadrain. See:

Intermediate method: Chemical waterproofing with a crystalline product like: Xypex, see:

Stop gap methods: Interior french drains to sump Interior water proofing.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I have had water though this wall on rare occasion. Several years ago I installed a french drain and a sump pump which handles the water table pressure I sometimes get after several days of hard rain. I also recently re-routed my gutters through plastic pipe away from the house. I don't expect any future problems with this wall but I am remodeling the basement and have the wall open at this point. Thanks for you input I will take a closer look at the Xypex products.

Reply to
Ralph