Bl**dy h**l

I need a pre stressed concrete lintel (215 x 65 x 2100) and phoned the local branch of TP - 48 quid plus VAT. I'd done a google and found them for 18 quid. (Dunno for how many, though) After a sucking of teeth he dropped the price to 28. Strange.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've been the local builders and had that sorta thing. Phoned up for a price on something and when I purchased it turned out it was cheaper than the quoted price via the phone call. You gotta watch this in most places as sometimes prices in their books get muddled up,I'm summizing hes made an error and rectified his error by saying he'll give you it for £28.

Phone up and ask for the same lintel and see what the price is over the phone?

Reply to
George

I've had that in TP too. Was buying a masonary saw a few years ago. I was rather horrified at the price, and it must have shown. I hadn't even started thinking about bargining, but on seeing the look on my face, it instantly dropped to less than half the price.

As for pre stressed concrete lintels, I recall being surprised how cheap they were when I wanted a couple of small ones to support an inspection cover frame. Under a fiver each ISTR, but that was a local independant builder's merchant (don't think they do bargining, but stuff is all quite good prices anyway).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Ouch. I have just paid £37.37 plus vat for 4 lintels 1200 x 100 x 140.

Reply to
Roger

At TP? More like par for the course IMHO.

David

Reply to
Lobster