Big digger v. little digger

Then hire one.

3-4 grand buys a lot of hire time.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Roger writes

Yes. You'll note my laid back sales technique:-)

IME you only desperately want a digger when you have not got one. In practice, I have a Manitou all terrain forklift which does all the pallet and loading work. I have access to a Steelfab wheeled mini digger for small jobs and use a local (MF digger) driver for anything tricky so actual use of the 3D comes down to pushing in fence posts, digging holes and occupying space in the barns.

Had you considered hiring a *bucket chain* type trencher for your pipelaying job?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The message from Tim Lamb contains these words:

I see I am going to regret taking the next step whether that is purchase or not purchase.

No. Didn't know such things exist.

Going to see a 3 CX tomorrow. Seller tried to interest me in a nearly new Jimna as an alternative. A Chinese made small tractor. I may have misunderstood but I thought he said his machine had a back digger. According to one website these machines are seriously cheap but the back actor is "coming soon" and ups the price by about 40%.

Anyone with views on Jimna 254. With selectable 4 wd this might be a more manageable alternative to a 2 wd JCB although it won't have the umph of the big machine.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

That should have been Jinma. Doh.

Reply to
Roger

If they are remotely as shoddy and unreliable as Chinese motorcycles and scooters, I would run a mile.

However, the principle of a small tractor with a backhoe is a good one. Frankly, the only "oomph" a JCB offers is in terms of digging depth and lifting capacity. A JCB also offers weight and bulk that might actually prevent it from getting to where you need it.

Reply to
Bruce

The message from Bruce contains these words:

I don't know. Dealers claim they are very reliable but then they would wouldn't they. Haven't found any real horror stories on the net but there are some suggestions that the machines are relatively simple and with dated technology but that would probably be an advantage. Cars had become too complicated for me to maintain myself by the end of the 80s.

I am beginning to warm to the idea. It runs on wheels so there are no problems with tracks and it is small enough for me to get it under cover when not in use. My barn has a garage type door and an (ex) hay loft so nothing very wide or tall can get in.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

Well I have been and tried the JCB. The good news is it really does seem to be in good condition for year and all the important bits other than the brakes (particularly the handbrake) work. It even has an extra dig boom. I think it would be good value at £5000 (and he won't budge on the price). The bad news is that I have got cold feet. In the flesh it just seems too bulky for what I have in mind and the 2 wd drive coupled with the poor brakes bothers me.

The Jinma is a curious machine. The back actor is small and has restricted movement compared to the JCB and the engine is noisy but I felt a lot more comfortable trying that than the JCB. But it is little more than a big toy so I am undecided. Incidentally the back actor is of Italian make and is different to the one the Jinma dealers are now going to offer.

Reply to
Roger

little

Handbrake on the 3cx is VERY easy and cheap to fix. The disk is mounted on the back of the gearbox, the pads are held on by two bolts and a complete set will cost about £12 on ebay. The road brakes are oil immersed and it's unusual for it to need anything other than adjustment.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

Actually with the handbrake the problem was at the other end. I couldn't get the handle to move at all and the owner said he never used it, grounding the bucket instead.

I knew whatever decision I came to I would come to regret it but I am now convinced that a JCB is just too big for what I want. The Jinma on the other hand isn't if only I could rid myself of the impression that it is an oversize tinplate toy.

There is an Iseki 318 with a back actor on e-bay atm but that is in Boston, Lincolnshire which is a bit far to go and have a look and that has turf tires which would compromise traction in the mud.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

This thread seems to have died. Is everyone else bored with it?

The particular backhoe on the Jinma only slews through 90 degrees which is another black mark so as other devices slew through 180 degrees the Jinma is now on the discard pile.

I have been and looked. It is a bit tatty and a bit pricey but would do what I want to do. The big drawback is the turf tyres. If it costs too much to switch to agricultural tyres I wouldn't be able to bid.

There is another Iseki on e-bay atm but that is even further away in Scotland. Currently bid up to £3005 but not to its reserve. Still a possibility. The backhoe on both these tractors is more substantial than that on the Jinma.

Another possibility is a backhoe attachment for some £2500 or so from Land legend to use with my neighbours tractor. That is in fact the cheapest option but it would require some radical surgery to the back of his tractor cab and I am not sure he would wear that. It would also require the back lift (which is currently faulty) to be repaired. It also means I wouldn't have a bigger tractor available to tow a smaller tracker out of the bog should it get stuck. :-(

There is also a 2004 JCB mini CX on e-bay atm. Well out of my price range but one can always dream. :-).

Reply to
Roger

Not at all!

Do let us know what you finally buy.

Reply to
Bruce

I think some sort of tracked 360 would do most of the jobs on a smallholding. Hole digging, trenching eg. The last time I needed a professional, man and machine was £175/day.

Dare I also say that a few outings a year is not good for an affordable, bigger but *old* machine. If part of the fun is maintenance......

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The message from Tim Lamb contains these words:

I have been put off tracks because part of the remit is doing work on my neighbours farm which may involve half mile movements and there are various scare stories around about the speed rubber tracks wear out and the cost of replacing them. (I am also happier driving a wheeled vehicle).

A full size JCB has definitely been ruled out of the equation and any mini CX is way above what I am prepared to spend however desirable one of those might be.

I used to enjoy messing with cars until they got too complicated for me to service but I think I would prefer using the machine to tinkering with it.

I have just about decided to go either for a compact tractor with a backhoe and front loader or a backhoe attachment for my neighbours tractor. The latter option is currently the cheapest but also problematical given it would require some of the tractor cab to be cut away.

Reply to
Roger

Go on - buy a 3CX - you know you really want a proper mans machine

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

I seem to have come to my senses on that at least. :-)

However if the one I went to look at had been a 4 wd I might even now be trying to manoeuvre it through the narrow gate and round my yard while trying to avoid knocking my house or barn down.

I have just been outbid on a John Deere 3120 with a backhoe and I am keeping an eye on 3 other sales atm. Two different Isekis and a kubota. The 2005 JD is currently at £6200 but surely such a new machine is worth a good deal more than that.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Bruce contains these words:

I now have a new toy. A Kubota B8200 from (so I am told) the mid 1990s. Only delivered this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Reply to
Roger

Roger wrote in

And the pictures?

Reply to
PeterMcC

In message , PeterMcC writes

And was this within your budget?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The message from Tim Lamb contains these words:

My abilities don't extend to putting pictures on the net. I don't have any as yet but photos I can do, it is posting them that is beyond me.

Unfortunately not. Too many people chasing too few machines.

Reply to
Roger

Bill Taylor