Grout

I've got a vast area of tiles to grout. They are a sort of beige porcelain. I just want plain white. Any recommendations as to the best make to get - or are they all the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ardex.

No they aren't.

I would suggest calling their tech department and describing what you have. They have fast and slow set versions.

Reply to
Andy Hall

BAL period.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nicobond is pretty good as well...

(Just avoid the Wickes own brand stuff!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Seeing as the other posters have sworn their loyalties.

Mapei.

If you have more than a dozen or so tiles then powered grout is best IME. Pre-mixed acrylics are only for a repair job or doing a splash-back for a basin.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Crikey. I was hoping for a consensus. ;-)

Right - one thing I have ascertained is that a combined adhesive/grout isn't a good idea.

A trawl of the local tile shops just found the usual Unibond on sale.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

As long as you dont use pre-mixed you will be fine.

Sod the make!

Reply to
BrainsHere

Yup, fix'n'grout combines the worst properties of both. A dry mix powdered grout is easiest to work and get good results with. Getting a rubber faced grout float makes the job easier.

Reply to
John Rumm

Here?

You're kidding:-)

That's definitely true. Neither is premixed anything.

Have a look at trade suppliers. They tend to sell the materials used by professionals. One point is to avoid the fast setting products. These are OK for the practiced and for rapid work over a large area. They can be wasteful and perhaps stressful for the occasional user because they are going off too quickly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is the differing opinions of posters that makes this newsgroup so interesting. :-)

Reply to
Bruce

Well yes, but I wasn't intending to do a Which? test. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BAL (powder, not premix) worked very well for me too.

I used BAL admix GT1 in it too, which is a grout waterproofer and plasticiser, which I thought might reduce any staining. There is no staining several years later (still looks like new), but I don't know if there would have been otherwise. It's expensive but goes a long way. I don't imagine I'll ever finish the bottle -- actually I gave it to my father when he tiled his shower, and I don't think I've had it back;-).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel