Dril bit sets

Wots the point of sets of masonry drill bits then? I keep seeing them on special in my local Screwfix depot.

I only ever use 6mm & 8mm for plugging walls in general, and a 5mm for Multi Montes or the small yellow plugs.

Looking at typical SDS sets;

5.5, 7, 8 and 10mm. 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8 mm.

Since Fischer & Rawlplug dominate the market with 6mm & 8mm plugs being standard, the first set is no good to man nor beast since it doesn't have a

6mm bit, the latter set is better, but what would you use 5.5 or 7mm for?
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I always use a drill bit .5 less than what the hole should be, purely because the drill wanders so much when putting it into plaster. So 5.5 would be good for me.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I sometimes use a 5.5 for Red plugs to give a bit tighter grip and my Brown plugs state a 7mm hole.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Many brown plugs including Plasplugs state 7mm holes... Sometimes it is handy to adjust the hole up or down a bit depending on what the wall is made from and the gague of screw you are using.

Reply to
John Rumm

I occasionally use a small one for some special wall plugs; the kind you can use for the pin fitted to cable clips, when on a brittle surface.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I keep a stock of 3mm masonry bits. I find it easier to centre the hole accurately that way, and you can then use the bigger sizes to enlarge the hole, even when they're relatively blunt. It also gives you an idea of what you're drilling into before committing yourself to a particular hole size. 5mm can easily become 6mm or 7mm on a bad surface.

Reply to
stuart noble

As others have said, smaller hole, at least to begin with, in softer materials or for tighter fit. Plenty of advice like this around (e.g. "use 7mm drill for 8mm plugs"). A damn site easier to drill too small and enlarge...

Supplied fixings (e.g. special bolts) that need odd sizes.

Drilling through a hole in, for example, some sort of bracket with a small-ish hole. (Probably drill through that hole and enlarge with the brackets removed - but nice to be *able* to use the largest possible size drill.)

Sequential drilling - i.e. start with small hole and increase in steps. Nice to be able to choose intermediate sizes.

Just sometimes, the actual drill lengths can make a difference - use a smaller diamater/shorter drill because you can get in there. Not strictly related to diameter but they do tend to go together.

My take - get one cheap-ish general set and buy specific half-way-decent additions/replacements as appropriate. Cost of a set is pretty acceptable these days.

(I lent my cheap SDS to someone - and it came back with a Titan set from Screwfix added to the few odds and ends I had accumulated. He needed some bits but had no use for them thereafter. I have used many of them. Lucky me. :-) )

Reply to
Rod

I could do with some of those, where do you get them?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Much to my annoyance..eBay! Hang on...(looks back in records and searches eBay for seller)...

Item 350071473838 (seller, for posterity, 'mr..telephone')

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not cheap are they?

Reply to
stuart noble

Seems they've gone up since I bought them! Couldn't find another supplier at the time though...and there was no other easy option...white painted old brickwork.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you search for "pin plugs" vis:

make them - possibly among overs.

For bigger nails (like those used on SWA cable clips), ordinary yellow wall plugs work well.

Reply to
John Rumm

I invariably use a 5.5mm SDS drill for red plugs - but I have trouble with my brown plugs. It says to use 7 or 8 mm depending on the material. However I find that, with brick, the plugs tend to shatter when hammered into a 7mm hole - but are like a prick in a shirt-sleeve if I use 8mm.

Anyone know whether you can get a 7.5mm SDS drill - I don't recall ever seeing one?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah, handy tip that sounds counter intuitive but actually works quite nicely:

When you need to get a plug into a slightly undersized hole, push it in as far as it goes, and then turn the screw into it a few turns. Now tap the screw with a hammer and the whole plug will slide into place (and not the screw just sink into the plug as you might expect). Once set at the right depth, just unscrew the screw.

Handy for setting a plug below the tiles on a tiles surface as well to make sure you don't crack one on tightening the screw.

Reply to
John Rumm

Recently I noticed a new (I think) product called Fill & Fix from Fischer (of plug fame).

Having read what is is (polyurethane glue, I'd guess), and how it is used (bung it in the hole and let it set, then screw into it), I thought I would try my own version.

I had made a few holes in ordinary fairly modern bricks. And the plugs I wanted to use were not gripping as much as I would wish. (Using the next smaller drill would have put me in precisely the situation described - too small a hole.) So I smeared the plugs with some polyurethane glue, sprayed the hole with a touch of water and inserted the plugs. Stood back and let it set before driving screws in.

Their version is not supposed to require a plug - but I can't see how it is kept in the hole until it sets. Perhaps it is extra thick (gloopy scale not IQ)?

The plugs are held securely. The screws seem to be holding just fine. I would have reservations about doing this with a heavy duty load but for light to medium - seems to work well.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I always used to do that with fibre plugs - but they're not very common these days!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Nor are the rawlplug masonry hole borer which you hit with a hammer- thank heavens for electric drills !

Reply to
robert

I used to have some hot melt wall plug sticks at one time. You used a glue gun with a longer nozzel on it to to pump the molten plug into the hole. Leave it a minute to set and then screw straight into the plug formed. They could work ok on very crumbly walls.

Reply to
John Rumm

Drill the hole with a 7mm bit. Then widen out using the 8mm bit without hammer mode. You get a more accurate 8mm hole, which is somewhat smaller then the hole you get by going in with the 8mm bit in one go. (Depends on the nature of the brick too.)

I was doing this just yesterday!

Other method I use for this is to turn a screw round backwards with the head on the flange of the plug, and tap the point with a hammer to recess the head of the plug. Need a screw head which will just go into the hole.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, I remember those! Never had much success at making a round hole of the right size though!

Reply to
Roger Mills