mini digger OK for 2 metre foundations ?

Part of my foundations must be 2 metres plus 6 inches in order to be deeper than the public sewer that is 2 metres away. Can a mini-digger get this deep, and if not, how should I dig them ? Access is a 4 foot wide side passage and gate. A larger machine could be brought round the back but then would be the wrong side of the sewer, and driving over the sewer might damage the, um, sewer. Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I can't remember exactly how deep a typical 1.5 can dig but i'm sure we had to get a 3 tonner in to get down to something like what you're looking to do - partially for the reach and partially for hydraulic power. You should ask the hire company that you're aiming to use for suitable advice. They may also be able to supply heavy plates to put down to spread the load should you need to drive over the existing sewer.

2m is quite deep and depending on soil conditions you should be prepared for problems re the sides collapsing. Don't even think of going in the hole unless it is suitably propped and shuttered - too many very dead people have done that before you.
Reply to
shaun

do it, take 6 inches off the top first, then put the machine in the 6 inch hole, and dig 2000mm.

For a hole that deep, you should get a pro. That could be a very dangerous hole. A "man and digger" operation is what you need.

Based on what I pay, Unless you have site insurance for 30K+ plus accidental damage, the machine will be 60 quid a day, insurance 30 a day, collection/ delivery 40 each way. Man + machine is 15 an hour.

Sombody will need to drive the dumper, and work the shovel.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Even the small powerfab 125 diggers are supposed to be able to dig to

2m.
Reply to
adder1969

Not a small mini, but you may be able to do it with a 3.f tonner..although I would definitely get it done ny a pro with a bigger machine for sheer speed.

they can often reach across...tracked diggers are remarkably 'kind' to deeper layers of the soil...not to the surface admittedly..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

shaun wrote: Don't even think of going in the hole

With a digger...you can make the Dead walk!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, sure, directly underneath the machine... you end up straddling a trench that is as wide as the machine...for a while, until you slip...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher