Best outdoor gloss, opinions?

I need to repaint a gate in white gloss. The Wickes trade gloss I used 5 years ago was never very good - and took about 6 months to fully dry iirc.

I hear Dulux Weathershield is pretty good and apparently has fungicide/algacide in which may help prevent the growth of the green gunge which happily grows on the gate atm. Has anyone used it and is it any good?

TIA

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Is the gate wood or metal. I assume wood, but if metal why not use Smooth Hammerite? If wood, I always use Dulux Profesional Gloss for my windows and doors, it leaves a lovely smooth almost mirror like finish and seems to last a good few years if applied correctly.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I've not used the High Gloss, but I'm very happy with the quick drying satin. Obviously this water based top coat will be totally different to the solvent gloss. However, it is applied to the same solvent based preservative primer and undercoat, which seem to do the trick.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes it is wood. I agree with what you say about Hammerite. I've used both the smooth and hammered on our metal gates and trellissing and it is bloody good stuff. I did paint our metal windows with dark blue Smoothrite but after three years its faded and dull, still solid as a rock though.

sam

Reply to
Sam

Aha! I think this is the stuff that I want. I'm not averse to a satin finish and water based is an advantage. I think I will give it a go. Thanks.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

25 to 30 pounds for 750ml it's a little expensive!!! however a friends 18ft plywood yacht having been built twenty years ago with epoxy glues and this type of paint, still looks immaculate.

The Q

Reply to
the q

I always use Sandtex Exterior Gloss. Keeps its colour (white) for years and goes a long time between repaints.

Reply to
Adrian Chapman

That's worth trying, since the "Guaranteed for Six Years" Dunlop Weathershield barely lasted two years here.

Reply to
Huge

BTW, I used the trade version, but I suspect it would be similar to retail branded versions.

Christian.

P.S. The conservatory is up now, and I just need to redo the top coat on everything. It looks fantastic, much better than any plastic one.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thats exactly what I want, thank you. Where would I get such a thing?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You'll need a required primer first as this is important but it comes from the same places..

Any chandlers, (international paints is the usual brand of paint,) or you could use gael force marine which have used very successfully for several marine Items I needed

Northampton sailboats which I used to use regularly when I lived nearby
do a search on chandlers uk or chandlers (your county) uk

The Q

Reply to
the q

Thanks. Thing is... top coat £25 for 1/4 litre undercoat £31 for 1/4 litre primer £11 for 1/4 litre delivery £6 total £73 to paint the outside of the window. Hmmm. Are any of the slightly cheaper ones good, like the one packs?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton