Best HD make for PC

What happens if that's stolen at the same time?

All my important stuff is stored on the Acorn. That will neither burst into flames or be stolen...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It tells me something about people when they recommend a disk as a backup. I wonder why the world doesn't use disks to backup important data? As a clue I will tell you there are good reasons why not and it has to do with losing your data when you use another disk as a backup media. Its far too easy for the software or something else to fail and screw up both disks when they are connected to the computer to rely on a single disk. Two disk backups and you are getting somewhere but even that is not used by the experts as a backup mechanism as it just isn't reliable enough for serious stuff. When you get into serious backup plans and find you need 10+ disks to backup your disk reliably then you start to understand the true cost of using disks for backup.

I am only half serious about backups of my photos etc. just one NAS device and memeo backup plus a disk image or two plus a couple of sets of DVDRs and two sets of USB flash drives. I really must investigate using online backup somewhere.

Reply to
dennis

Elsewhere....

I take a full backup over to my M-I-Ls whenever we got there.

You overestimate the intelligence and underestimate the malice of thieves.

Reply to
Huge

Can't see them bothering with a bulky heavy device that looks old. Anymore than they'd bother with a similar age PC. When all they've got to do to get one is check FreeCycle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm surprised Maxtor hasn't floated up for more negative mention, the drives of theirs I bought quite a few of in the 120-160GB region have all but one failed in service.

At that time however I was buying form local suppliers who kept them on the shelf in nothing more than the original antistatic bags and thought nothing of dropping them on the counter when they sold them, they were the cheap consumable drive and treated as such.

I dropped them completely when they led the move to 1yr warranties in

2002.

I have a raft of Seagates in service in the 200-320GB range but haven't a clue who to turn to since their operation turned to shit with dodgy firmware in 1TB drives and denials all round.

Who's at the top of the shit list this quarter?

ps: anyone remember Miniscribe drives C1994 with rack & pinion head positioning (no, really), they lasted about 5mins.

Reply to
fred

Thats called 'tar'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

so use a second computer.

In fact, you betray ignorance.

I have NEVER had BOTH drives corrupetd by ANY hardware as long as they area not both active at the time.

So shove your theoretical possibility up the arse of my experience over

40 years, and kiss it.

I am an expert Dennis.

And your are as usual on planet Zorg. Take some pills and go back to sleep.

I dont see how I can need 10 disks to backup one disk dennis.

I think you should learn to think clearly, and not just react to your innate paranoia.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dennis - hot news for you, they do.

Which will use disks. Oops.

Reply to
Clive George

Don't spoil his illusions. He thinks there are scribes connected to the internet, writing it all down on papyrus with quill pens.

Sort of Dead Dennis Scrolls.

0100100101001010 1001010010010010

..etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

gzip!

Reply to
dennis

Not on Windows, unless you use cygwin or something.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So you are lucky.

Your 40 years is worthless then.

Not in anything to do with backing up computers from what you have said. If you are an expert why are you deliberately telling people to do something fundamentally wrong?

That's because you are not an expert.

Well unlike you, I have been a member of a design team that actually had to design a system to backup several thousand computer systems (system X exchanges actually) and we have had systems fail even during backups. When you actually have some experience that is relevant you will understand that you don't have a clue ATM. Don't try and pull the expert line, you don't even understand the basics from what you have said so far.

Reply to
dennis

Go on then tell me who and I will see if its one of those network "cache" units used to gather the backups before they are written to something else.

They use disks as "temporary" storage, they also backup the machines using a proper backup procedure and probably not to disks.

Reply to
dennis

Very funny, shame that you are wrong. Again!

Reply to
dennis

cucku backup.

real connection except I know most of the guys!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Dennis, do you actually know what gzip does?

Reply to
Clive George

You can run it without cygwin these days, along with other useful things like grep. Windows binaries available on the Gnu site somewhere.

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, that's the "or something".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Its the gnu version of zip.

Reply to
dennis

"Dennis" and "know" in the same sentence?

Reply to
Huge