Berlin Server

I believe that quite a number of people here access Usenet through the Berlin server. In recent days, it appears that posts are often coming through in big batches, then nothing for half an hour, and another batch.

Am wondering if this is Berlin playing up or the virginmedia to Berlin stretch? Nothing else seems to be affected - that is email, web, etc., are all working fine.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm on Virginmedia and am not having problems. According to TCPeye Virgin is using the Eweka backbone in the Netherlands, I see no mention of Berlin.

Reply to
The Other John

I use eternal-september.org with VM cable and have noticed no delays with my own posts or with replies to them.

Reply to
Robin

I use the Berlin news server (Freie Universitat, aka NIN) via VM; I've not noticed anything odd but then again I don't know what's normal, so far as batches go. Stuff just arrives.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

(naive question - I ought to know the answer, but don't)

Could it be anything to do with the ISP? I'm on Plusnet, and have noticed various minor anomalies in recent weeks -- so much so that I changed the server I use from their own to eu.astra.news to see if that made any difference. (Hard to tell yet.)

Obviously the traffic still goes over Plusnet's bit of the network, so if there is a problem, it would still affect me.

[Aside: There seems to be a singular (and worrying) lack of interest in Usenet, at Plusnet. Suspect it's the same for most ISPs.]

John

Reply to
Another John

Strange you should say that.

AFAIAA Plusnet are the only ISP which employs anyone, Bob Pullen in this case who posts as Plusnet Support Team, to regularly read and answer questions on uk.telecom.broadband.

Failing that Plusnet host around 30 usenet groups, available on on their own server, most of which are dead admittedly but which includes plusnet.service.customer.feedback which appears to be fairly well used.

Apart from Usenet they also run a whole series of forums.

The free-news server they provide via GigaNews is a lot better than that offered by many ISP's nowadays - zilch. The withdrawal of which is why I first had to subscribe to NIN years ago, with a previous ISP.

michael adams

michael adams