Bath Insulation

I have just removed the bath panel as after about 20 mins of sitting in the bath its real cold. There are large holes round where the pipe enters the wall which i will fill with expanding foam. Thing is, there is a large area where the bath sits and i was wondering if it was OK to use loft insulation packed round the bath to keep some heat in?

Any ideas if this is OK or not.

Thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

In theory it should be fine. If you've sealed the holes, I'm not sure it will make much noticable difference. By far most of the heat will be lost from the water surface. I suspect if you have a layer of foam (bubbles) on the water surface, that would probably make much more difference.

The other thing is that water often gets into the space under a bath, due to imperfect seals (bath against wall, tap hole seals, etc). If that space is air tight, it won't be able to dry out and will cause rot to set in to timber present there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Also, if you can and haven't, have your cavity wall insulated. It really did make a difference in our bathroom, which is on the corner of our house so had two exterior walls.

I wouldn't insulated the space because of what Andrew says.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote

I would consider strapping slabs of insulation to the sides of the bath, as much to try to reduce noise from running water as to conserve heat. Our outlet trap dangles through the floor so noise transmission to the dining room below is a nuisance

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Sure. Go for it.