Backing Paper for painting

Hi. It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that backing paper is acceptable for painting over. Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

In case of confusion. By backing paper I mean wallpaper backing paper.

Reply to
Arthur 51

Lining paper? Yes, it's very acceptable for painting over.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes, I always paper over wooden boxing before painting walls. No problems.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Faced with a choice of sugar-soaping the old crud left after striping wallpaper, or hanging a lining paper, I'd go for the latter. Deals with a multitude of imperfections.

Happily, the previous owners of our house wallpapered the bedroom with some kind of vinyl stuff, which peeled off dry in sheets, leaving behind a perfect paper backing layer, with just a few corners and seams needing to be pasted back before over-painting with emulsion.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

When I was a professional decorator, I always painted onto lining paper, even on new plaster. You get an incomporably better finish, no matter how well trowelled or filled the wall. This is especially so when you have to deal with walls that have previously been painted with a roller (makes sign of the cross) because Real Painters use brushes. I've just lined the ceiling and walls of our kitchen, partly because the previous finish looked like W H Auden's face, and partly because removing the coving and the attendant snots of adhesive meant that painting the surface directly would have resulted in a sub- optimal finish. Gave the ceiling its first coat this morning - boss job.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

You can also get special lining paper for painting. Not as absorbent as the usual stuff and appears to have a thin vinyl layer on the surface. Better to paint on, but it doesn't stretch, so is less forgiving with wavy walls.

Reply to
Stuart Noble