B+Q product line

Struggling though the box of paper in preparation for submitting my accounts I came across a receipt slip from B+Q .

My accountants like expenditure to be categorised and I am totally mystified as to what this item might be.

So, at the risk of being embarrassed, what is a *mendi flush*? Cost £20.98.

Sink plunger? I tried their search box with no luck. Any other ideas?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Google "mendi flush" (with quotes) comes up with a light fitting..

Adrian

T minus four days and counting... Mines been done, the other half is getting a head ache as I type. B-)

To what level? "Parts" would seem to be adequate to me. The less detail accountants and particularly tax men have the better IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Adrian writes

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Call it drain cleaner and no one will know or bother to check. A colleague once returned from a foreign work trip. Putting in his expense claim, there was a receipt for a few dollars that he couldn't remember any details. It went in as "Contract Killing" and was paid in full.

Reply to
John

I put a couple of hours down on my timesheet last month as "Swearing at laptops" and that got paid.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You are Dirk Gently and I claim my holiday in Barbados.

Reply to
Paul Herber

That bit is done and I have paid my debts:-(

Umm.. Where they get picky is differentiating between repairs/renewals and improvements. Totally different tax considerations!

Worst of all when the new office junior gets a rush of blood to the head and start pulling out inappropriate VAT claims.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Bah - the film wasn't as good as the book.

Actually, that's not really fair - the thing on the telly was quite good

- just different.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I shall ensure I take my towel.

Reply to
Skipweasel

How anyone could even begin to consider a presumption that they could better Douglas Adams is beyond belief.

Reply to
Paul Herber

I had exactly the same problem with mine. Eg - "12MM NO LOSS" had me scratching my head for a while until I realised it was a paintbrush! WTF can't they itemise properly like Wickes, who happily trot out "Sashlock Euro Cylinder Satin Finish 64mm" on their receipts...?

David

Reply to
Lobster

But if you didn't know what it was.............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Douglas Adams

My turds are more amusing than the juvenile, derivative schoolboy toss that Adams churned out.

Reply to
Huge

Didn't think that affected anything other than VAT and that only on new build rather than repairs/improvements.

But if they haven't got the detail they can't start sub-dividing even further... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'cause Wickes use two lines per item not one so they have 40 characters for the description. B&Q with a single line and a character indent for each item have, at most, 30.

Got agree though that the above ought to be "Brush 12mm No Loss", I suspect the erks entering stuff into the EPOS system haven't a clue what any of the things actually are and have a contest to be cryptic. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is for business assets. Replacing a damaged slate on an existing roof is fully allowable, putting a slate on a new roof is subject to the whims of the current tax regime and treated as capital investment. The arguments usually start when the roof in question is being replaced with something better.

TMH's new van will be subject to capital allowances (a % offset against income each year) and written down to zero over a number of years. If he chooses one with a CO2 emission below a certain threshold a larger offset is allowed.

That is why they insist on sight of all invoices.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd tend to suspect the opposite. They know exactly what it is, and fall into the common trap of assuming that everyone else does.

This is perhaps the commonest failing of most forms of communication - failing to accurately predict the existing knowledge of the intended recipient.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Or they entered "Brush blahblahblah... 12mm No Loss" or perhaps "12mm No Loss Brush" and the system lost the important bit.

Reply to
djc

Similar skill level to the ones who create the tags for searching the website I suppose.

Reply to
Mike Clarke