B&Q Knut product

B&Q have excelled themselves again with their product offerings.

Now you can buy a DIY flood barrier of your very own for the princely sum of £324

apears to be a product of great quality and strength. I wonder how it would faire once the water level rises to half way. I think that even poor old King Knut would wet himself laughing.

I guess that this will be sold in the highly priced and useless aisle along with the toy windmills.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've never undrstood why people go to great lengths to sandbag their doors when the water will get in through the air vents anyway. Fortunately where I live I'll never be in a situation where it will be put to the test.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Dunno - it might actually work, and I can think of many people who would consider using such a thing. It does rely on having straight edges to seal against though. The company has been going for a few years now.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Wouldn't the water just come in through the air bricks and then up through the floorboards?

Reply to
Andrew May

They've thought of that one :-) (not necessarily B+Q, but the makers of the floodgate - see their website).

And I reckon an air brick is a lot easier to deal with than a doorway. Personally I'd consider a can of expanding foam as a suitable tool.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Do you understand that a lot of properties do not have air vents?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I concider concreteing in a few brease blocks with quick setting cement. lot cheaper

Reply to
zaax

My house doesn't have air bricks at ground level, but cavity vents through both internal & external walls near to the ceiling.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nor me; however when you see these situations on the telly, there's no doubt that you can typically see the water level to be lower on the inside of an open, sandbagged door than outside. (Say, maybe enough to prevent the water reaching the electrical sockets, which in a system wired top-down would be well worth the aggro of a few sandbags)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sandbag the air vents too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few carrier bags, or similar, work well to block up a brick air vent

- if the water is not moving it keeps itself in position and moulds to the contours of the brick forming a perfect seal. If the water is flowing then leaning something against the bag will hold it in place.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Then there's the sewer pipe...

(Although if it gets high enough to flow over the brim of the loo, it's most unlikely everything else on the house would have managed to hold it back anyway.)

If you do too good a job sealing everything, you might find the house pops out of the ground and floats off down the garden ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Once again the tired and inaccurate propoganda against 'poor old King Knut' is repeated ....

Knut, king of England and Norway only tried a spot of mega D-I-Y.

In his northern Kingdom particulaly Bergen he was familiar with the concept of a quay (bryggen) against which ships could lay alongside to embark/discharge cargo at all states of the tide ... but in his southern Kingdom, particularly at his court at Bosham the tide 'went out' and ships could only get to the quay for a few hours either side of high-water. Knut ordered a wooden pile shoring be erected below the low-water limit and ordered that the area between the piles and the town be infilled with lots of 'MOT1' (equivalent). It had taken him yonks to get the Planning Authority's approval (environmental impact statement,; Chichester Harbour Ecological Survey Report; English Heritage Comments, and detailed drawings made up and passed by the Saxon BCOs who all muttered 'It'll never work "; "It's not natural ! Ships _shoud_ dry out every tide! It helps us scrape the bottoms'. 'Why do we want to load and unload cargo at all states of the tide?' ."mutter, mutter, mutter .....'.

After the new quay was working to Knut's satisfaction and the BCO had signed off the chitties came an almighty storm and the reclaimed land (quay) was inundated and washed away .... leaving only the wooden piles :( Then all the nay-sayers gathered around and cried; "Told You! 'See, it would never have worrked... , t'aint natural ,, keeping the tide back like that ... !"

Nowadays the only remnant of Knut's work is the submerged remains of the piling wall off the 'quay' at Bosham which represent a hazard to navigation as they ar not visible at high water. [Oh, plus the drowned cars that insist on parking - at low water- below the pub and on the landward side of Knut;s pile wall].

Some folk still prefer to believe their _history(?)_ books which portray Knut sitting in a porta-throne at the water's edge.. But, there again, when has any D-I-Y er not completed a job and been told 'you've missed a bit, there!' ?

Let's restore Knut's reputation, he was a great innovator .. but he just couldn't get the workforce!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Not enough Poles..or poles..probably...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He did make a good job of Bryggen in Bergen though - and the fish restaurants are usually pretty good.

Pity he couldn't fix the perpetual rain.

Reply to
Andy Hall