I have an electrical outlet in the loft mounted on the wall adjacent
to our neighbour.
When a light bulb is connected to it, it does not illuminate as much
as it would iof connected to an electircal outloet downstairs.
Is there an obvious reason for this?
I do not think another light in the house illuminates.
BTW when i refer to an electical outlet I am referring to the one that
you would plug an electrical appliance to. (I probably was not very
clear about this). I was initially using a lead lamp in the attic,
connected to the suspect electical outlet.
But as the lamp is not illuminated very brightly I am currently using
an extension cable from downstairs which is a pain in the arse.
A colleague at my work has suggested that this could be a fire hazard
and should not be used until I have an electrician investigate who
might probably have to rewire the outlet to another "ring".
It might not be a fire hazard (at least until you use it) but it is a
sufficiently bizarre (and therefore possibly serious) fault that it must be
looked at! It *may* indicate a fault with the wiring that might cause an
electric shock hazard elesewhere (for eaxample).
Might sound daft - but try having a portable radio tuned to Medium Wave then
plugging in the light. If you get interference on the radio then it
indicates a bad connection (causing sparking).
Does the cable appear to be of adequate size? If very thin it could be
heating up and acting as a resistance.
Worth checking. Easy to do. Or switch on all the upstairs lights and see
if the socket still works.
Yes - I guessed as much.
The thing is there isn't normally a ring circuit (for sockets) routed
through the attic, but there usually is a lighting circuit. So many will
use that to feed a socket - which isn't really correct but not dangerous
if you realise its limitations power wise. But it's possible to wire it
I don't know how much you know about electrics, but it is possible that
this socket is incorrectly wired, probably with neutral and earth swapped
over but it could be worse. I would recommend that you get someone who
knows about such things to have a proper look at it as this is a safety
issue - particularly in a loft. The wiring problem may not be at the
socket end, of course.
Thanks for the information(s).
I'll check if the other lights come on, tomorrow and will check with
the aid of a candle, the wiring behind the electrical outlet. I am
confident with checking if the wires are put in the right holes
(colours) and done up tightly, as I have renewed many of the light
switches and outlets in the house. If I can't see anything obvious, I
am going to leave it and have an electrician take a look when I can
On 23 Nov,
What sort of lamp?
If incandescent, does it look redder than ones downstairs.
Bulbs often seem weaker when in lofts because the loft is bigger and dirtier
than the rest of the house. I have several large fluorescents in the loft,
and it is still dim compared with elsewhere, because of its size and atate.
This is a very good point! I've noticed a similar thing myself, but the
OP mentioned that he reverted to a long extension lead from below, so I'm
sure that he'd have noticed the difference. Of course, I don't know if he
has used the same lamp...
I really hope you're not serious about the candle..
Ahh, the plot thickens, did the socket work OK before you replaced the
switches and sockets? Do you remember any light switches with 'extra'
cables or more than you'd expect when you changed the switches and
sockets? I'd have somebody watch the light in the loft and then wander
around switching on every light in the house after having asked them to
shout if anything changes. If you can identify a switch or socket that
changes the light in the loft then it at least makes it easier for any
electrician to rectify the fault because you've done half the work for
Probably best if it's a wiring error and not just loose contacts.
tomorrow and will check with
This problem has occurred since I moved in, before and after I changed
all the electrical outlet covers.
I have found (by switiching the trip switches) that the outlet in the
loft appears to be connected to the lighting circuit for at least the
front and rear bedroom on the first floor. From the useful information
provided here I understand that this is incorrect procedure.
Why would the electricity be so "weak", it is "weak" even though both
bedroom lights are not illuminated.
I'll not use that outlet until I hire a qualified electrician to
correctly rewire it.
Thanks for all information.