Using 15w bulb in 10w-rated fridge light

I bought a 2nd-hand fridge to keep in the garage for drinks & stuff during the summer, the bulb doesn't work. It's a Hotpoint, and most reviews said that the downside was the location of the light - it's actually outside the fridge, in the bottom of the top if you get my drift, and doesn't illuminate the inside very well apparently.

The spec says to use a 10w bulb, another reviewer said that they tried a 15w bulb but it blew straight away. Is this likely? Presumably it's not going to be lit long enough to overheat the housing, so is there any electrical reason why a 15w bulb can't be used?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I would stick with the spec. There are "special" lamps for fridges.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

What sort of bulb is it? (Might be an issue if it's low voltage and exceeds the transformer capability).

When mine blow (I think it was nearly 30 years old), I replaced it with an LED one. You need to find one that fits, and sends at least some of the light in the right direction.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You might be better off looking for a 4 or 5W LED lamp in the same fitting which will give out more light and considerably less heat.

It strikes me as odd that LED lighting hasn't really taken off in consumer fridges in a timely fashion.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Our friends have one with ghastly blue/white LED lighting inside. Makes all your food look disgusting.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sadly, designers often haven't a clue when it comes to lighting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have LEDs in mine.

"Panasonic installed two flashing LEDs in the vitamin-safe compartment to simulate the blue and green hues of sunlight. They continue working even when the door is closed. The LEDs activate your fruit and vegetables? natural defences and stops them losing vitamins. It really works, and the effect of our LEDs has been tested and certified by SLG, a renowned independent test laboratory."

I need to do a controlled experiment and perhaps disconnect them sometime.

Reply to
Adrian C

I would hope they aren't charging extra for them ... on first impressions I do get a whiff of BS ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

This one:

(apparently a 10w SES pygmy lamp)

The (blown) one I took out says on it:

Philips

10w H.D. 230-240v Italy XH5
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

You mean real white as opposed to the yellowy crap you get from incandescent and CFL.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I'd suspect they had a dodgy bulb. Unless you leave the door open for a long time, it's not going to get hot enoguh to blow it.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

That's what my thoughts were, I can see a 10w bulb blowing in a 15w fitting but not the other way. But I don't know much about electrickery so I wondered if there was a genuine issue.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

That shouldn't happen either if the voltage is correct. I mean you stick 40W bulbs in room fittings that take 100.

I would think the only problem you'd see is melted plastic if you left the door ajar by mistake.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

That's not a particularly standard rating (15W is normally the lowest).

But here's a cheaper 10W one:

However, I'd try an LED lamp instead, which at even 1/10th of the power rating will probably be brighter (low power mains filament lamps are extremely inefficient). IKEA and Clas Ohlson have a selection of small mains LED lamps.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

instant blow is a common filament lamp failure mode, due to a faulty bulb.

yes and no. Its unlikely a 15w would ever overheat, but just perhaps, if left on for a long time in a very tight space with low softening temp plastics.

A 1w or 2w LED would be a safe reliable option, and costs no more than the few filaments a fridge typically gets through in its life.

Call me cynical but I cant help suspecting the 10w rating might be to slide under some energy use target.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've met this with screw-in bulbs if inserted when the power is on. The fillament hasn't recoverd from the mechanical shock of twisting the bulb and then gets volts - result "bang".

Reply to
charles

Not that I can think of unless its a low voltage bulb and its running on a higher voltage than its rated for.

brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I *like* yellow crap, and no, it's not "white", definitely blue tinged like you get from crap LEDs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, it's real white. Your eyes have become accustomed to yellow rubbish.

Blue tinged is BMW headlights. THAT is annoying, they look like a police car. Unless it's the ones that change between green, blue, and yellow as they change angle, then they just look stupid.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Have you looked in my friend's fridge? Thought not. Why is it rubbish if I like it? Looks way better to me.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+