fridge 15W SES blulb

Hello,

Perhaps a daft question but can you use any old 15W SES bulb in a fridge or does it have to be a special one?

I know that ovens use a special bulb that will withstand 300 degrees C, presumably to stop something melting. Is there a similar "low temperature" bulb for fridges? After all, I would think that going from hot when illuminated to cold in the fridge would place additional strain on the bulb.

I ask because I saw a pair of 15W pygmy bulbs for £2 in a supermarket today and next to it one fridge bulb, which looked identical, for £2. Both made by GE. It seems silly to buy the fridge one at twice the price if it's the same as the "ordinary" bulbs.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

I think you can use any one providing it's not too physically large. You might find the fridge one is a bit more shock resistant. Don't know of it might have hardened glass too perhaps, although

15W pigmy lamps are normally OK exposed in the rain anyway.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

they might have a different coil to cope with thermal shock

Reply to
Kevin

so you can buy a twin pack of normal bulbs, use one of them in the fridge, if it dosent last long you can use the 'spare' untill that goes too and you go out and buy the fridge bulb.

or the normal bulb does work, and when it finaly blows in 3 or 4 years time, you cant find the 'spare' one so have to buy 2 more anyway.

personaly i'd just buy the fridge bulb and be done with it for the ammount of times you have to change a fridge bulb.

Reply to
gazz

Appliance lamps tend to run at lower filament temp, producing less light and lasting much longer. But yes, cheaper ones do work ok, they just dont last as well..

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Surely a 15W lamp is going to be running at the same temperature as any other filament lamp at the same voltage?

If the "special appliance" lamp is also 15w, but produces less light, it would throw out even more heat!?

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

No, there's a range of temperatures filament lamps operate over.

A 15W mains filament lamp is so inefficient, that you can regard it as generating 100% heat to a first approximation.

I've often thought that microwave ovens should simply have an electrodeless fluorescent lamp inside for lighting, powered by the microwaves. I expect the field intensity varies too much depending on how much food is in there, and as it goes around on the turn table, so it would just go up and down in intensity.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Surely, regardless of how efficient or otherwise it is at producing light, the light ends up as heat anyway. So given a 15 watt lamp

*all* of the 15 watts ends up heating the room that the lamp is in except for any light that escapes the room.
Reply to
tinnews

Light energy spontaneously transforms to heat energy!!!!....

Ummmm, interesting concept!!!!

Reply to
The Crimson King

So... a 11W low energy bulb which gives equivalent light to a 60W filament bulb generates the same heat?????

Ummmm... right.... you switch on your 60W filament for an hour and I'll do the same with my 11W low-energy... then we'll both grasp our bulbs... and see who gets the worse burns shall we???

(Me, ummmm... a bit warm...you, call the ambulance!)

Reply to
The Crimson King

-So... a 11W low energy bulb which gives equivalent light to a 60W

-filament bulb generates the same heat?????

Who said that? any 11W bulb in a closed environment (heat and light can't escape) will generate 11W of heating in the environment. The fact that it's a bulb is irrelevant - it could be a radio - if 11W of power id going in and nothing can come out, then ithe inside will heat up according to the power going in.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

OK... can an inconsistency here....

So put your 60W bulb in a 100% insulated container for 1 hour.... And I'll put my 11W in an identical container for 6 hours......

And at the end of each span measure temp. rises....

Yours easily 60+ degree rise... Mine... probably less than 10 degrees...

Reply to
The Crimson King

Reply to
The Crimson King

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

LIGHT comes out... NOT heat!!!

Reply to
The Crimson King

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

It's all energy and energy is, in the end, heat. You will note I referred to a closed environment where nothing comes out. If the light were to come out it would get converted to heat (or, occasionally, chemical energy) elsewhere. As it can't get out, it will all end up as heat inside. That be physics, I'm afraid, don't blame me, read a text book!

Catfood, catfood, catfood, again! (sorry your nom de plume set me off)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

-OK... can an inconsistency here....

-So put your 60W bulb in a 100% insulated container for 1 hour....

-And I'll put my 11W in an identical container for 6 hours......

-And at the end of each span measure temp. rises....

-Yours easily 60+ degree rise...

-Mine... probably less than 10 degrees...

You are entirely correct but what's your point? No-one said otherwise!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Where else do you think it goes??? Just about all energy 'degrades' into heat eventually.

Reply to
tinnews

You don't understand physics do you? I suggest you read some books as all your assumptions appear to be in error.

Reply to
dennis

He is entirely incorrect. With 100% insulation there would be nothing to stop either getting hotter and hotter. Then it just depends on the thermal mass.

Reply to
dennis