B&Q 'Delux' garden tap kits

Had to fit an 'outside' tap for a client yesterday - except it wasn't 'outside'.

Industrial unit, want to use a hose outside, tap required just inside the door.

Popped into B&Q on the way to the job to be faced with 'outside tap kits' and 'deluxe outside tap kits'. £9:99 & £12:99 respectively.

The 'outside tap kit' was in a clear plastic bag, proper bib tap, self cutting valve. The 'deluxe outside tap kit' was in a green printed bag. Bought the 'deluxe outside tap kit' for the extra few quid.

What a pile of s**te. The 'deluxe bit was the inclusion of two cheap & nasty plastic hose connectors & an equally cheap & nasty spray gun.

The self cutting valve was Ok, the tap was absolute crap, inlet on the top outlet on the bottom, or vice versa, skimpy thing that wouldn't last 5 minutes, bloody rubbish. Took it back.

Avoid like the plague.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

I always would.

Only ever used one of those self cutting things once, I learnt how to use a gas torch and solder after that. I realise time is money for you but I much prefer my way, higher flow rate as well.

Reply to
Bill

Self cutting taps have their place, in this instance a very confined space between two racks that I had to squeeze into. Hard enough getting me in, let alone soldering.

Strangely, my public liability insurance has two exemptions, working above gutter height & use of a blowlamp indoors.

Also the issue of draining down the pipework which went up some 30'.

I'd agree your way is better, but as you say time is limited for me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yeah. as I plumber myself, I wouldn't want to put my name to use of a self-cutting tap, but they do work. Some customers have needs that are about speed and lack of disturbance and would favour a quick job over doing it 'properly'. In fairness, self-cutting taps seem to work okay until they are disturbed, though I do wonder if they are certified to any standard that makes them 'suitable' for use with potable water.

Reply to
John Bull