B-Notices

Do I (to comply with the law - I probably won't anyway) need a Building Notice to move a non-load-bearing internal stud wall?

How about the grey water drains internally? E.g. Move Bath and Shower about in the bathroom. (Taking care of the new zones for the leccy, of course)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Depends. Firstly, that it's not structural. Just 'cos it's stud, don't mean it ain't load-bearing. Also, it could provide lateral restraint to a wall.

Secondly, that it doesn't adversely affect means of escape in case of fire. For example, if it's in a flat or a three-storey house, a protected hall may be needed.

Generally not, provided that it doesn't involve work on the underground drainage, and it doesn't prejudice the health and safety of any person on completion of the work.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Good point about lateral restraint. I know it's not load bearing as it doesn't actually line up with a joist above (bungalow) and runs in the same plane (across the house). The Joists provide the main wall-to-wall tie, but these studs could offer extra support.

I guess than means that I need to put the new ones in before removing the old. They will be more substantial anyway, as I want to put more insulation in.

I may get a structural engineer to check my plans. I don't mine paying a professional, but object to paying for the jobsworths at the Council.

Thanks. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow