Modern Toilet Cistern Float no longer dropping when flushed

Hi Our cistern is just a few years old and the working parts are all white plastic. The float rises and falls on a central column of white plastic. I presume deposits from hard water are increasing friction.

I have so far just cleaned the column by rubbing my fingers along the surfaces. But what else can I do lubrication?

-- Dave

Passive Income Streams

Reply to
zzapper

Not sure what you mean by " rises and falls on a central column of white plastic " Floats "pivot" on an attachment so i don't see how cleaning the column will help. What happens if you empty the cistern and lift the float ...does it rise and fall freely when you let go .I'm guessing not by subject line . If not then you need to attend to where it pivots as that will be where the problem lies . It's probably more important that it comes back up when the water level reaches the float but it should move freely.

Has the inlet valve been replaced at all?

Does it look like this?

fictitiousemail

More like a Fluidmaster.

Reply to
John

Can't say I had heard of them .What's the advantage of them ? looks too complicated .I'll settle for the Torbeck one I have .

Reply to
fictitiousemail

The Fluidmaster has a float that surrounds the column:

John

Yeah I looked up to see how they work but what's the advantage of them?

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Dunno - It suited the space in the corner of the cistern It claimed to be quiet (it is) and perhaps I read a recommendation on this group just before I bought it.

Reply to
John

========================================= One possibility is that the standard lever arm + ball valve can foul the flapper type of syphon if fitted. It makes sense to fit both parts of the 'Fluidmaster' arrangement to avoid the potential problem.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes it looks similar to your link. The trouble with this design is that there is a large friction area for limescale especially the inner surface of the float. Is there a cleaning product?

Dave

Reply to
zzapper

Yes it looks similar to your link. The trouble with this design is that there is a large friction area for limescale especially the inner surface of the float. Is there a cleaning product?

Dave

I haven't had a problem yet. Is yours perhaps not truly vertical? However - I notice my float tilts slightly as it gets near to filling. Try a little washing up liquid (and enjoy foaming flushes) - it can tend to lubricate things a bit.

Reply to
John