Fixing bouncy floor with sistered joists- do I need to jack?

Hopefully a straight forward question. I plan on fixing some bounciness on my main level by sistering all of the joists. I shouldn't have much problem getting to all of them and the spans are all fairly short (~2"x6"x10'). Before I glue and nail the sisters all into place, should I bother trying to jack up the existing joists just slightly to relieve pressure, so that the sistered joist immediately goes under pressure as well?

Reply to
Kevin W.

Are the present joists sagged? if so, then yes, Carriage bolts are usually used for attaching.

Here is another method

Ed Pawlowski

Unless they are sagging, I would not. Also, if it's just a bounce issue, I'd sister every other one first, that's probably enough.

Reply to
trader_4

Cross bracing too. Took the bounce out of my deck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll second the cross bracing.All the cross bracing under my dining room was loose and "wonky" - before I put down the new hardwood the floor had some give in it, and squeaked. I screwed down the sub-floor, which helped - but then I screwed all the cross-bracing tightly in position, and it was lioke a whole new floor. No give. No squeak - and NO sistered joists required

Reply to
Clare Snyder

replying to Kevin W., Iggy wrote: I'd agree...don't jack unless you're fixing a problem (creates squeaks) and add bridging. One bridging I'll be trying out is IBS2000's design, as I haven't found the traditional methods to be of any value beyond stopping twisting. See - IBS2000 Fix for Bouncy Floors

and especially How to Fix Bouncy Floors

Iggy

The X bracing is the only bracing we ever use up here.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

replying to Clare Snyder, Iggy wrote: That's all I've ever had in any of my places. But, old (with full dimension lumber) and especially new places (with Glue-Lam and wooden I-Beam) with longer spans have always been quite bouncy and even saggy under rather lightweight things like a refrigerator. I thought when they went to solid block bridging that there was actually science behind it, but nope not a single thing changed. Therefore, I find the IBS2000 videos very credible. I haven't experienced nor witnessed a Floor Truss place yet, but I do hear good things and the IBS2000 is much like a truss in its engineering.

Reply to
Iggy