Artex

I can't speak for the north of England. There are other places "north" you know (Scotland, Isle of Man, etc). As for NI we have Guinness. You can agree with me now.

Tea is at six o'oclock here too.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:18:00 -0000, "Suz"

Agreed. You are buying me a pint of Guinness? Done deal.
Pop
"PoP" wrote | >It's us lot in the northern bit that have taste. | Three words - Newcastle Brown Ale.
On my first visit to England in about 7 years, a few months ago, I was struck by what a pronounced southern accent the station announcer in Newcastle had.
| You can retract your statement if you want ;)
Nah, I don't like English beer.
Owain

Gateshead.
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:37:06 +0000, Andy Dingley

LOL! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Oh that, that'll be Scotland I reckon! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:00:30 -0000, "Suz"

You must have been on holiday when I went up north! ;O) Did you go anywhere nice, dahn sahf perhaps? ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:58:13 -0000, "Suz"

I detest artex, and I'm on the side of 40 which, um, er, shall we say tends to have had more experience! Go figure! <shrug>
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Here I am, sat here looking up at my artex ceiling, and wondering what on earth people have against it!
Okay, okay, I know it's a "personal" thing. But could I ask what sort of ceiling covering you prefer?
PoP
PoP wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there PoP - when selling houses, avoid anything that can be construed as personal taste. Sure, not everyone will hate artex, but you want to minimise the possibility that even one person will hate it.
Unfortunately, it's at this point where I diverge from "received wisdom" in my views - I don't agree that magnolia is the least offensive colour in terms of saleability - I rate it up there with woodchip on the walls because the two go together in my mind like peaches and cream.
If you don't want the clinical look (i.e. whitewash everything) you could use very light pale pastel shades to add a bit of (non-personal) character and warmth to what would otherwise seem lifeless.
RM

Aaah PoP don't you worry about it. Sure it's your ceiling and how cares as long as you are happy.

Of course you could; perfectly alright!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Artex is great for hiding cracks lots of bumps poor original plastering in walls/ceilings but a total ***t to remove and incredibly messy scrapping the muck of walls/ceilings.
Whenever a Surveyor or Estate Agent views a house first thing they think of when they see Artex walls/ceilings.... what cracks/faults are house owners trying to hide.
Pat Davis wrote:

Ah. In that case try an arts and crafts shop.
Ther are many materials - plaster of paris for one - that can be gobbed on to do releief with, and indeed some forms of artists paint can be applied thick.

I was suprised to see no-one has got a link to it in Google. It an household word here. So I searched for: "textured acrylic finishes" and found this: http://www.parex.com/stucco_finish_o.html among many. I'm not sure of the exactness. No doubt our young Ms Kettle can put us right when she comes along.
You should be able to buy it in Wal Mart under the heading for Textured Finishes or whatever, near the paint/plaster section. It is a white powder that comes in bags like lime or plaster and is used with boiling water to make the mix. Tins of it come ready made at a little more as you must pay for the water. It looks just like thick textured paint when mixed.
Aternatives you might want to try are bonding plaster or plaster of paris (I think you might have to add pva to that). Ordinary plaster would do if you added something to it such as sawdust or mica (an inert stone that is used in insulation.) Come to that you could mix it with sand or clay or anything else it is just to slow down the speed it sets at and stop it cracking.