Ariston microGenus Boiler problem, totally non D.I.Y savvy!

Hello,

This is my first post to UK.D-I-Y, I took some time to read the FAQ so hopefully i wont be doing anything wrong. I did a search and couldn't find any other topics that covered my problem.

4 days ago the Ariston microGenus boiler - not sure which model - which came installed with my new built flat (June 2002) refused to supply any hot water, or heating.

I dug out the service/installation manuals that came with the boiler and followed the 'troubleshooting' instructions.

A description of the symptoms:

  1. I completely turned off the boiler and left it turned off over night.

  1. The next morning i went to the kitchen and turned it on at the fuse-switch on the wall.

  2. I then turned the "On/Off Knob" to On.

  1. I believe the boiler starts to draw water into it (i'm not sure really what the boiler is doing, it sounds like it's drawing water).

  2. At the moment the temperature is 13C in my flat, the thermostat is set to keep the flat at 22C so with the "Domestic Hot Water" and the "Central Heating Selection" temperatures set to "Winter" - eg both at 3

  1. The "Fume Sensor" orange light briefly lights up and then about 10 seconds later the "Ignition Failure" red light lights.

  2. I have tried pressing the "Reset" button, but the boiler just repeats phases 4 - 6 and the "Ignition Failure' red light is lit again.

I do not remember doing anything particularly different the evening when the boiler stopped providing me with lovely hot water.

Is this a common / easily fixable problem or will I require a Heating Engineer to fix my problem? Please try to be as Plain English as you can if you think you could help me because I really have not got a clue what all the jargon means!

Hopefully somebody can help, sorry if I broke any group rules!

DE

Reply to
desmondelliott

It gets to ignition and fails. Does the ignition pilot light actually light up? It may be what it says, it is failing to ignite.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

If the ignition pilot light is what would normally be where you look 'into' the boiler and see the blue gas flame burning away then no.

There is absolutely no lighting or anything similar from inside the small black 'peek-hole' on the front of the boiler.

Is this a common and easily fixable problem?

Reply to
desmondelliott

Quick check - check that the gas is on!

I would say you have an ignition or flame sensing problem. The cause likely is simple like a broken lead, wire or electrode. (£10? part) Possibly the electronics (£100? part). Tiny chance it's the gas valve (£100? part)

Given your level of experience I think you will need help.

Reply to
Ed Sirett