Soil pipe/main sewer problem

Hi,
just when the problem seems to be solved...........
......it gets infinitely worse.
Rodding out the drains this morning (as you do).
The manhole nearest to the main sewer is at the border of our property. From the rodding hole (above the 'U' bend) it is about 4 * 1 metre bamboo rods until there is a junction. I know there is a junction because when using the round rubber plunger thingy (which fits the bore of the pipe) I hit a sudden obstruction and when I pull back the rubber plunger resists for a moment, then pulls back. From this I conclude that I have reached a 'T', 'Y' or similar junction under the road where our pipe joins another (hopefully larger) one. The distance between the stop (far side of pipe) and the pull (entrance from our pipe) isn't very far, so I presume the other pipe isn't very large and therefore not the main sewer under the road.
Just when I had cleared the blockage - rodded all the way though to the junction and had the accumulated water (etc.) rush out and pulled back to retrieve the rods, it all came away surprisingly easily.
When I pulled the rods out, I found the end missing.
Unfortunately I hadn't counted the rods as they came out so I don't know if I have just lost the rubber plunger, or the rubber plunger and a rod.
The brass fitting is there, with the rivet missing. Looks like a normal rod end, but I didn't check how the rubber plunger was fitted so it could be from the plunger.
The best result would be that I just lost the rubber end, which went into a larger pipe and is now in the main sewer.
The more likely result is that I lost a rod and a rubber end, and I now have a length of rod in my soil pipe, with the rubber end protruding through the junction and at right angles to the joining pipe.
So you see my problem.
The presence of a rod in the drains is likely to cause problems in the future, even though it is draining O.K. at the moment.
Retrieving it is a real problem.
Even if I can find someone with a long reach claw thingy (at least 3 metres long) it has then got to grip the rod firmly enough to pull the rubber plunger back through the entrance hole.
The only other obvious alternative is to have the water company come and dig up the road outside our house (which will not come cheap).
Does anyone have a magic solution?
Does anyone know if an accident of this kind is covered by household insurance?
Does anyone know how long you can last without washing or using the toilet?
TIA Dave R

Um, long enough to sell the house? No, probably not :-)
No answer here, I'm afraid, but a *lot* of sympathy from someone who seems to have miles of drains - seventeen rods and still can't reach the blockage :-(
--
Graeme

property.
bamboo
plunger
and when

back.
junction
(entrance from

large and

the
back to

know if

rod.
normal rod

could be

into a

now have

through the

the
metres
rubber
and dig

toilet?
Get a camera down there to see what the actual problem is then you'll know how much you need to panic.
I suspect that the Dynorod type people have not only the camera equipment but also the means to retrive lost rod ends
AWEM

The lost bit "may" be only the end with the rubber plunger on it and it "may" have passed from your drain into the larger public sewer where it may now have been carried away into a more forgiving large bore system with high flow rates capable of sustaining its journey to an interceptor pit or the sewage treatment plant where a rubber disc is probably well down in the list of unusual objects arriving for treatment. A pipefull of shit up to the place it became detached is within the abilities of a decent drain clearing firm if it has remained stuck so I'd suggest you use the drainage system as normal but keep it under observation for a few days to ensure it remains clear. If an obstruction is present then try using a claw end on your rods but at the worst you will be able to establish how far down the pipe the problem actually is. Personally I never use the disc end on a drain rod but find that a wheel runner or a claw is quite adequate for clearing most blockages. In an extreme case I have used a length of blue water pipe with water actually running through it while "rodding" Dyno Rod have a wonderful contract for you to sign where you agree to pay them a large sum of money for them promising nothing so I'd wait and see before you commit to their mercies (or use a competitor)
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:37:59 +0000 (UTC), "John"
<snip>
Something wrong with trimming posts to context?
--

SJW
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Drain-rod-dissolving acid?

Oh, ages. Social interaction starts to fall off long before the suppurating buboes set in.
> or using the toilet?
According to the paediatric dietician on Jamie's School Dinners, if digested food doesn't pass down-and-out eventually it ferments and up-it-comes.
Owain
<snip>

Ah, thank you. An enormous weight has been lifted from my mind. Crapping in the street is not socially acceptable, but I can always hurl outside an Indian takeaway. Just off to buy some diced carrots.
Cheers Dave R
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:06:31 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"

Hi,
USB camera will go up to 5m, then a hub and another 5m lead to your PC. Silicone it into a narrow plastic box with USB light and transparent lid. Make sure it can and is focussed down to 3" or so though (my cheapo Logitech will go to 1")
If there's a rod down there a loop of nylon string with slip knot may get it if the end is big enough.
cheers, Pete.