sewer pipe problem

We have a 1930's semi which has an iron sewer down pipe, which is cemented into a ceramic elbow which is in turn concreted into the ground.

The collar of the ceramic pipe (into which the down pipe is fixed and which is above ground) appears to have fractured all the way around where it meets the rest of the ceramic pipe.

This means that when water and 'other liquids' run down the inside of the down pipe, they leak out of the pipe where the fracture is.

The ideal solution would be to dig the old pipe out and replace it with plastic I guess, but it's set in concrete.

Is there any way I can seal the crack? If I surround the outside of the pipe with cement, would it seal it?

Would that expanding foam be a better bet, or perhaps I could use bathroom sealant?

The fracture is quite wide - perhaps 3-4mm. It looks as though the buried bit has sunk slightly.

Reply to
Richard Markham

Just get some of the quick set cement from a shed or screwfix etc, (the stuff that goes off in minutes) and put that all round the bottom. Leave toilet flushing for about 12 hours and hey presto.

Reply to
John Woodhall