D.I.Y

I have decided to start doing a bit of DIY but to tell the truth I'm sixty+ and yes, I know it's a bit late to try and learn something new, but I've got to lose some weight by keeping active! I bought some power tools namely; a rooter, power plane, 10" table saw, circular saw, belt sander, cordless drill, hand chisels etc. Is there anything else that I should consider that's not to expansive? I was thinking of getting a nail gun, and a bench grinder but I only have a 8ft X 6ft Groundsman Apex Double Door Shed to work in. A previous thread that I put in another NG suggested that I put paving stones outside the front entrance of the shed which I thought was a good idea, therefor I could use most of the tools outside (weather permitting as I live in Scotland, Glasgow). I would like to buy a book that would show me how to use the rooter as there is a lot of different bits for different jobs. VERY IMPORTANT? What's the best way to set-up the shed and what is a good job to start with? Do you know any easy to follow DIY books especially explaining how the rooter works as they have different bits for different jobs? How should I start my new hobby? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Anonymous

For losing weight, you should have bought a hand plane, a hand saw a sanding block (or wood offcut), a brace and bit and/or wheel brace...

What about a hammer?

A file and an oil stone?

Seriously, buy tools as you need them, otherwise you'll waste money on things you don't need. You haven't actually given any clue what sort of DIY you are thinking of doing, which is rather important for suggesting what tools you'll require.

Also, think how you are going to secure your tools. Sheds generally aren't very secure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Welcome to the world of DIY and it's triumphs and failures of which I am sure you will have many of each. Sixty+ isn't too late at all to start. The only advice I would give you is to decide on what you want to do, obtain the tools to do your intended task, read as much as possible on the methods to achieve your goals and don't be frightened to ask for help, whether on a NewsGroup or in your local DIY shops. Above all, don't be too downhearted if you make a complete mess of what you are attempting, we all start somewhere and even the most experienced of us still make the proverbial cockups.

-- troubleinstore

Reply to
troubleinstore

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice troubleinstore. Have you any idea how you set-up a work-shed that is only 8ftX6ft; ? I would like to try and build an A-frame garden table bench-set, but first of all I would like to kit-out the shed with somewhere to store my tools and maybe make a working table etc, can it be done with something so small?

---------------

Reply to
Anonymous

You could try to build yourself an Awning for the front of the shed, so you have somewhere under cover to work in the open air. That's instead of trying to work in the confines of a small shed.

To build a table and bench set, then begin by looking at how to create and assemble tenon and mortice joints. These are the basic sorts of joining techniques for timber structures.

Reply to
BigWallop

Try here for books

Gel

The man who never made a mistake never made anything. That's my excuse anyway. Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I also would only buy tools when theyre needed. At this point I doubt youd know either what tools youll need, or which ones to pick.

Re the shed, I've done plenty of diy without even a workbench, let alone a shed. Really you could make a table/bench with no more than a saw and screwdriver if need be. I wouldnt worry about the shed for now.

The best thing is to do something and enjoy the result, rather than try to be perfect on day 1.

Preferably use pressure treated wood so it lasts, and soak the cut wood ends in preservative.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The only thing I would add benchwise is that I do not have one, but would be totally lost without my Black and Decker Dual Height Workmate. I have had it for thirty years and use it on practically every job I undertake. The dual height bit is important.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Ditto Keith, I've had the same Black and Decker Dual Height Workmate for about the same time, maybe even a bit longer? And to be honest it has hardly ever been used, but I hope to start using it a bit more in the future.

--------------------

Reply to
Anonymous

Ever found any spares for it?

I got new screw feet off a bath last month. Fitted perfectly :))

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for telling me that EricP. I have got one of the screw feet missing on my workbench, not the screw-part, it's the plastic round sucker-type part broke off the screw and makes the bench a bit wonky. Can I buy them anywhere? thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Anonymous

I was at the local tip when a bloke was dumping his old plastic bath. They all have those horrible support hoops underneath and these adjustable feet on them to level the bath. I had a spanner handy and he waited patiently while I pinched the feet off his bath. He went off happy with a fiver and I had his bath feet. The thread was exactly the same as my workmate feet thread. I replaced the whole of the high setting feet with them, including the ones that didn't have threads, so my workmate now has a higher adjustment than before.

I still have one left and you are welcome to it. It has a 5 inch threaded shaft going into a nylon foot, an almost exact replacement for the old foot.

My mail addy is valid, just use the phrase "bath foot" in the header, and send me your snail mail address.

Or try the tip and you may have a nice surprise.

Reply to
EricP

I'm suprised nobody's suggested to the old guy (incidentally, I'm older) a spirit level, set square(s),and plumb line.

Have to resuscitate two patio teak tables and several chairs. Bought a belt sander. Two packs of belts, 3 each, cost more than the sander! Does anyone know what adhesive tape is used to butt joint sanding belts? I vaguely remember Kevlar being mentioned, if so, is it available in small lengths?

EricP wrote:

Reply to
Leonardo

The belts should already be loops. Did you cut them to get them on the sander?

Reply to
BigWallop