Any good deals on 18V cordless drills this weekend?

Apart from those discrepancies, the Site has a 10mm chuck and says 13mm somewhere on the page. That factor and the poor feel and look of the Site caused me to chose the Makita at £80. Glad I did as it really is good.

Reply to
PeterC

Actually, mine has a 1/2" / 13mm chuck as advertised. I agree the 'sex aid pink' colour is a little startling at first. I like the balance and general feel, so I am happy so far.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

+screwdrivers|14418778.htm?_$ja=3Dtsid:1 1527|cc:|prd:7112812|cat:garden+%2= 6+diy+%3E+power+tools+%3E+cordless+drills +and+screwdrivers

I'm very happy with the Ryobis B&Q are selling for less than 80 quid the pair.

Unfortuantely I left one battery on charge overnight. They take 3 hours from flat but you are warned not to let them flatten as this reduces life. I wish I could get spare batteries but I doubt they'd be worth it if I could. I might go for a rebuilt battery if there is someone locally doing them (Stoke on Trent anyone?) If I was in serious employment and the larceny at the maks was over and done with (which irt ain't as the thieves are still there) I'd get another pair of them.

Maybe if I get another pair I'll get a timer for the chargers.

They are 14 volt but have plenty of torque. They come with 2 drill bit holders but they are non magnetic. The bag they are packed in is useful I suppose but you can get a cheap shopping bag from any charity shop that will be a much better holdall for all the tools required on a job.

Personally, I prefer a 2 gallon plastic bucket. But at least if it rains you can cover your tools.

A 10 or 20 quid purpose made shopping bag type of tool hold-all doesn't have a cover. WTF? If they were long enough to hold a saw and provide for rain or dusty conditions or just cut down on prying eyes a little, I'd get one. Since I usually only need one of the tools and the charger can go on a wall, I suppose the bag is just about big enough for a few hand tools. I keep my drill bits in it.

So all in all, a happy choice for DIY and for not too much heavy duty daily grind.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yup in general the Makita chargers will do NiCd and NiMh in any voltage up to the maximum of the charger. I find an old richmond 9.6V pack for a small drill driver fits nicely, which makes it far more useful than the toy one that came with the drill. (quite a number of tools over the years have copied the Makita layout since they have used the same form factor and terminal layout for decades.

Cheap ebay battery to use as a pickup plug for the Mak charger, and the existing B&D charger converted into a socket?

Reply to
John Rumm