Aldi Wireless CCTV

Anyone bought these before? They have them on offer from Thursday

guess they are analogue unprotected for that money?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

reading my mind Bob!

analogue unprotected... whatcha pointin em at?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Nothing special Jim! Just wanted to see who is at the front door when I'm in the workshop. If they were protected then they would possibly be digital and possibly have a more multipath resistant wireless link.

TBH I'd rather have a wifi one or even better a homeplug version. I need to get the signal into cable as soon as possible via mains or cat 5 My house has old 3" cinder block inner skin (built 1925) and they have horrendous attenuation of wifi signals. It is impossible to run wifi network from one end to the other (14m max.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

well as a workaround bodge to a similar prob - I have successfully made up an aerial extension that brings a distant wireless cam (a la Aldi) within range of a receiver... can fish out details if you need ...

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Have you tried upping the tx power of the wifi router? I had problems with my Linksys WRT54g here. However, I put DD-WRT firmware on it which upped the power from 20mW to 70mW. It even allowed me to increase it to 251mW but I've decided against doing that. I did get a noticeable benefit with upping the power (but long-term cat 5 is the way I'm going).

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I recently installed a wired system in the loft (similar to ebay

110494748051). 3 external cameras in the eaves and one looking down the staircase/hall, all wired to a central hard disk recorder with tv/video output. The biggest advantage is the real-time ethernet access from any connected PC. It's a fair bit more money, but very pleased with it for home security and for day-to-day "can I be arsed to answer the doorbell?" usage.
Reply to
Steve Walker