Aerial Splitters

I need to split my tv aerial 3 ways but am unsure how to do it I thought it was just a case of buying a splitter but looking through cpc and toolstation there seems to me numerous options. Which one is best I have freeview so I need something to hand digital but do I need boosting, amplifying? one with a direct plug or one with a in line power supply? F connectors or coax plugs?

Any suggestion gratefully received

Paul

Reply to
Paul

OK, where are you? What transmitter do you receive? How far away is it? How big is your aerial? What is the length of the cable runs? How good is the reception currently? What is the current downlead cable designation? (letters/numbers written on the cable).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What you need is an aerial DA (distribution amplifier) This will make up any gain lost in the splitting process - and is mains powered.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

as a last resort, perhaps. best get a good signal sorted first and see if an amp is required as if it's a poor signal an amplifier will amp up the whole lot, not just the signal. rubbish in + amp = lots of rubbish out

Reply to
.

A DA is not the same thing as a mast head amp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Norwich. I think I use tacolneston. About 10-15 miles away. Standard old style aerial current reception is good. Cable runs 2 at 6m 1 at 20m. Only info on cable reel is low loss semi airspaced coxial cable/TV downlead.

Hope this is enough info.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

the same r-i-r-o principal applies.

High gain aerial ~~> low loss sat cable ~~> 3 way splitter

see if that (the cheapest option) is good enough, if it isn't carrying enough signal for 3 recievers, add a DA. IMO

Reply to
.

I fail to see how this can be the cheapest option when I have to buy all new gear with may not work.

I can get a DA for about £15

Tollstation sells 57418 or CPC AP00698

Paul

Reply to
Paul

if you are so sure that you know better, why ask ?

suck it and see, but having installed over a dozen freeview systems for relatives and friends (oh, the joys of owning ladders and roof ladders) all between 5 and

20ish miles from various transmitters, I have to say that they all opted for a new high gain aerial (£15) and low loss sat cable (£21/100m) and they all use splitters, (.69p) ... F plugs are .6p ... never had the need for amps, which will, eventually, fail.

YMMWV

Reply to
.

snip

eventually, fail.

I didn't say I new better I just could work out the how it was the cheapest option.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

(£21/100m) and they

knock yerself out, kidda.

Reply to
.

OK, it is crap downlead. You might have got away with a good passive splitter (not the 99p types from the sheds) if you had CT100 or equivalent. However, with 20m runs, you should probably get a amplified distribution type. If possible, buy a type that is compensated for cable loss. These amplify frequencies that are more easily lost over long runs than those that have lower attenuation. However, if you can't find one, then a flat response will probably work fine.

However, you could always buy a good splitter and hold off on the amp in case it works fine anyway, which it might with a good enough aerial at that distance from the transmitter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Where do you get a three way passive splitter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a high gain aerial going into CT100 for ~10m. it's then split into three: one for the front room (~15m) one for the dining room (~8m) and one for the back bedroom (~9m) which is currently my PC room / junk store.

all terminate in either a freeview box or PCDTV card. signal strength is clean and green on all devices simultaneously. before I fitted the high gain aerial the signal was pants, no matter what I did with the aerial, even with a 4 way DA.

it all starts at the aerial and whilst you may get a signal under optimum conditions, when it slings it down or snows, there can be a considerable degradation of the signal even 5 miles fom the transmitter, leading to pixelation over and above the usual level, which is annoying.

like I say, suck it and see. if someone can get away with an analogue aerial, brown down cable and and amp that's fine and dandy for them but I've always just stuck in a high gain aerial (usually in the loft) used CT100 and taken care with the F plug connections.

Reply to
.

Argos do a range of Aerial boosters. Try one of those. If it doesn't work take it back under the 14 day money back guarantee and then think about more expensive options.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

CPC

Mark Carver

sheesh, mine was less than a quid from a trade only outlet.

Reply to
.

Well, Which outlet then ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

It looks like a proper screened metal filter with F-type connections. A 99p shed special will be made of plastic and probably just connects all the pins together. You might as well just use a lighting circuit junction box.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

trade only as in installer only. I had a bugger of a job convincing them that a house renovator /was/trade. their price list in XLS format and it's borked, they don't do mail order. cable universe, bitz and a few others have them in for c£4 + p&p

screwfix do a 4 way one for £4.55

HtH

Reply to
.