TV aerial ?

STWNFI would like a TV in a corner of the kitchen where I cant get an aerial feed without running cable all round the room with cabinets in the way. is there another way? Some sort of wireless transmitter/receiver would be good?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Well I am running a PC here that gers an X window redurect of a anorer PC that has a satellite card in it.

No at 100Mbps its not very good.

Better to wifi abd use online services and forget the aerial

Or run the cable outside the house

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

on 18/09/2018, Muddymike supposed :

Been there and done that. You should be able to run such a cable in the pipe space behind the units, or even remove the kick bottom panels and run the cable under the units.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you have Sky Q a mini Q box connects to the main box over wifi. Can be a little amusing if watching the same channel at the same time as it produce s an echo a couple of seconds later on the second screen due to the delays transmitting over wifi. Currently the mini Q boxes cannot transmit UltraHD, I don't know if it is due to the limitations of connecting over wifi.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If it were a smart TV on wifi (or regular TV with Fire stick etc), then you could add a network tuner elsewhere that the TV could stream from.

e.g:

(that gives you network TV recording as well, and you don't have to use their software since the likes of Plex or Kodi understand how to use them as well)

Reply to
John Rumm

Another aerial :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Not so simple here. Not only is there a solid wall interior between the space she want the telly and the nearest outside wall but the kick boards are all nicely sealed to the floor.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Sky!!! Id never waste hard earned on that crap.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Fire TV stick now relocated from sitting room to kitchen telly :-) Thanks for the suggestion, why didn't I think of that...

Now where the hell did we pack the remote for that telly :-(

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

And who sealed the under unit access panels to the floor? B-)

The backs of cupboards rarely go right up to the underside of the work top so you could get access to the pipe space there. Or simply run the cable along the back clipped to the underside of the work top.

Though if the Firestick works well enough without clogging up your WiFi that'll do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

  1. When running cables around kitchens cabinets are a godsend! Often you can run the cable invisibly above the cabinet, or behind the back wall of it, if it's lined, or even under the lip where the under-cabinet lights are.
  2. Could you do it with miniature coax? It's surprising where that stuff will go.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why can't you run the aerial cable over the ceiling, then drop down in the corner?

(I'm assuming you have a solid floor, so that the underfloor option wouldn't be available.)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yes as whatever you did otherwise would mean another box and more complication of course.

Obviously though not knowing the lie of the land so to speak I find it hard to think that a small bit of coax going through a wall somewhere will upset anyone if they are prepared to have an ugly TV in the kitchen in the first place, Omelettes and breaking eggs comes to mind here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do wish cody would make their stuff accessible for the blind, no screenreader can use them due to their oddball api. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pass, we have just bought the house. I'm glad they are though as STWNFI discovered the kitchen sink overflow doesn't handle full tap flow...

Yes but there is a naval level built in oven and a solid brick wall between the unit the cable could come into the back of and the unit the TV is on

It seems to be working well.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike