Adjusting uPVC Door Hinges

Hi all

We have the same problem with patio doors and back door. Concentrating on the back door, this appears to have dropped slightly at the non-hinge side so it now catches when opened/closed. This suggests some movement at the hinges which is exaggerated by warm weather! Pictures of the door and hinge are

and
anyone seen similar to advise on adjusting method please?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

The fault is almost certainly incorrect fitting of plastic packers around the bottom panel. That panel is the only diagonal bracing on the door, without which it will parallelagram-deform under its own weight. Unfortunately, this is something very few fitters seem to understand, so it's a very common fault. This normally applies to the glass units too, but with your thin vertical glass units, that's less effective.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is at least 1 visible adjuster there - on the hinge cover, at the edge near the glass, there is a small cover, maybe 1" by 1/2". Prise this out, and there should be an adjusting screw, probably an allen bolt. This one is for making the door level either with the wall/frame, or plumb straight. You may be able to adjust the top and bottom ones enough to be able to get the locks lined up. There may also be adjusters on the hinge cover attached to the frame, it isnt clear from the pic. These, if fitted are to adjust the door up/down in relation to the frame. When I do these, I back off the middle hinge adjuster, so that only the top and bottom are adjusted, then nip up the middle one when the other two are correct. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

As Andrew said, you probably need to heel and toe the door. Following site gives some guidance:

shaun

Thanks for all the input fellas By adjusting the hinge screws I have managed to get the door to open and close reliably. But I had to move it a long way in-at-top out-at-bottom. Not sure how this parallelogramming will be corrected having two slim panes at the top and a full width plastic panel at the bottom. I have seen the heel and toe instruction but not sure how to apply this to my door. Any thoughts?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

teqnique for a non glass door?

"To stop a door dropping the glass itself has to be braced diagonally corner to corner by the insertion of plastic packers slipped in the gap between the glass and frame, under the beading. On the hinge side the packers go at the bottom corner, whilst on the lock side, the packers go at the top (opposite) corner "

Reply to
George

(Pedant mode on)

Thought it didn't look right.