Adding a wireless room thermostat?

My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in 1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the wireless ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and manage the boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the rooms. Next year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern time clock running heating and HW separately.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

BTW have you tried twatting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

Reply to
ARW

I've had the thermostat bit off and operated the pin bit I suspect there is too much gunk in the system. The downstairs is a single pipe system installed probably 50 years ago (we have been here 27 years). It has been pressure washed twice by Scottish Gas over eh last 15 years. So it is time for a new system - next summer. Meanwhile....

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Is there a time clock with the wireless bit built in?

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

timeclock - meaning programmer

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Not on the model I gave. I did not think you wanted or needed the time function:-)

if you want a programable stat.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, they are called wireless programmers unsurprisingly.

The "off" periods aren't really off, they are just set to a low temperature that the room would not normally reach except where there is danger of pipes freeing elsewhere, typically 10 deg C.

Reply to
Graham.

Leave you existing time clock set for the CH permanently on, and HW still on timer, then fit a wireless programmable thermostat like this:

can set up to 6 different times/temperatures each day.

Reply to
Davidm

Sorry - I have been thinking in several directions - after my first post I guessed there should be something like my existing timer/programmer which included the thermostat function - apart from the quite high cost of the Honeywell devices it was not obvious that the DT92E would do the ordinary time function. More reading needed. I was thinking that it would fit to the standard backing panel, making the wiring easy.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

That seems like a bodge - but a perfectly respectable solution and no more of a bodge than wiring in a room thermostat (wireless or not). I'm also looking to have my hot water and heating to be on at different times (it's not a combi boiler) and your solution would do that too.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

In message , Geoff Pearson writes

Not really, it's the normal way to do it with a retrofit

I guess there might be some combined programmable stats/and HW timers around nowadays though

Reply to
chris French

In message , ARW writes

Mine have only ever stuck in the *off* position. Scraping off the lime scale, adding a bit of plumbing grease and gentle w...king with pliers gets them going for a few more years.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm in Scotland - we don't have limescale - we have soft water that gives us heart disease. I have a Scottish Gas service contract and their men (and women) have several times had a go at the stuck valves and got nowhere.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

First fix the TRVs as there is no point in heating all the radiators unless you need them.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On the advice of someone on here and having the same issues I bought some of these,

With your 14 rads it's a big outlay but they are frankly life changing.

Reply to
R D S

On Saturday 14 December 2013 16:12 Geoff Pearson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

How is it a bodge?

Reply to
Tim Watts

We've had a CM927 for just over a year now, fitted when the new boiler was installed. Very convenient, easily reprogrammed or adjusted, and the additional functions such as the holiday setting are useful.

Reply to
Ramsman

You could always throttle back some of these with the lockshield valve (not on the single circuit of course)

Reply to
newshound

Yep, when switching to a programmable stat from an ordinary one and separate time switch there needs to be a shift of mind set. With a programmable stat you have multiple set point temperatures available based on periods of time rather than a single temperature during any "on" period.

With a programable stat the heating is essentially "on" all the time and the stat controls the boiler based on its set point at any given time and the room temp. Program the stat to say 15 C between 2300 and

0600 and in a modern house that is the same as "off".
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All the radiators are bypassed - T-ed off the single pipe - so I can adjust with the lockshield valve

Reply to
Geoff Pearson