Accessing network shares from a Windows Phone ?

(x-posted to uk.d-i-y as a lot of expertise there)

Anyone know if it's possible to access a windows share from a windows phone (on Mango) ?

Despite some convoluted googling, it appears that I am the only person in the world who has ever wanted to do this !

Reply to
Jethro

Back when I had a windows phone I used to use Resco File Explorer to access network shares on WM 6.5, it may work on Mango, their page claims it does:

user now, see no reason to go back to a Windows phone ;)

Reply to
Lee

Ignore that, misread the question.

Reply to
Lee

Nope. Me.

I've done it on my HTC HD Mini (Windows Mobile 6.5) using 'Total Commander' and the same also works on the standard supplied 'Windows Explorer' applet, but the latter for file handling features is crap.

For me, this is over 3G via an installed OpenVPN client ('other VPN clients are available...') and a Samba share from the NAS (i.e. very basic authentication). This potentially means I can get at my NAS held files from anywhere in the world, and it's pretty secure with certificates and all....

But very clunky sometimes, and with several random dialogs scattered with 'Error 53' if the signal dives, I decided against wasting time getting it to play with desktop Windows 7. But then again, it's a small phone. I'd rather do my remote access on other stuff.

Of course with Windows Mobile 7.5 will MS force ye to use their protocols?

Reply to
Adrian C