Subject Author Posted Replies

There's lucky
Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a...
29
29

Rafter ties (PITA)
Hi, I think I already know the answer to this question (when I finally get onto it) but just looking for more info. We recently lost my Dear mum and I wanted to do something for my Dad to help him out...
1
1

Spain's New Variable Price Electricity
Spain is not often noted for leading the way but their new pricing for electricity, which has three price periods per 24 hrs, and includes weekends, seems better than the UK's E7 system. This along...
43
43

[OT] UKLM: Subject: NHS data grab just around the corner
The group might like to be aware of this forthcoming data-mining exercise, whereby your data will be extracted from your GP record unless you opt out by the cut-off date. The entire thread, and the...
23
23

OT Triffids and cholesterol levels
Considering all the bollocks that is sometimes posted here. Now if the Triffid had to make a choice......
6
6

OT: Restaurant menu ordering
We visited Leeds Castle today and had some scoff in their restaurant. To "protect" their staff, they expect you to scan a QR code on their menu and then order online at I tried this twice. Getting the...
35
35

Draughtproofing windows.
Spcifically duuble-hung, sliding ones. What people call "old fashioned sash windows". I've been looking on Mighton's site. I quite like the look of the plastic parting bead, and the standard...
2
2

OT: What are these red birds?
Defiantly not a normal sight in suburban North Manchester.
2
2

Straight service valve to toilet cistern: replacing with 150mm flexible hose
The cistern service valve is very slightly weeping and so will have to be replaced. But in order to remove the valve I shall have to cut off the ferrule at the compression joint end. As it is...
22
22

oscilloscope
A friend of mine (one who has been enormously helpful to me in the past) needs to borrow an oscilloscope. It's to set up some complex thing; the heads on some sort of video equipment I think. TBH I...
16
16

Repairing and strenthening thin moulded plastic
I posted on this some time back, perhaps nearly a year, but can't seem to find the original at the moment. I have some moulded plastic fitting in my caravan which have proved flimsy. I need to both...
11
11

Using Hammerite on plastic
I am wondering if anyone has tried using Hammerite paint on a plastic pipe. Mr Google seems to think it is okay. For context, I am painting a steel fence so it would be very convenient to use the same...
15
15

packlink SL?
Email arrives saying parcel will be delivered by packlink SL, "Never heard of them", I think. The message looks scrappier than most delivery scams, but I know I *do* have an ebay delivery due, so I...
2
2

Can I replace Fluidmaster fill valve with Flomasta?
The cistern is fitted with the Fluidmaster bottom entry fill valve, but Screwfix doesn't stock this currently. They do however stock the Flomasta bottom entry fill valve. The two products look...
2
2

"Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that charges in five minutes"
Says the Times. How are the charging stations going to cope with that? Bill
213
213