Subject Author Posted Replies

Damp on bathroom wall
We have damp on our bathroom wall which we only discovered when we removed wallpaper, re-plastered and redecorated. Our first thought was that we hadn't let the plaster dry for long enough or that the...
6
6

HW Cylinder over-temperature resettable thermostat
The immersion heater on our HW cylinder is the old-fashioned sort, without an over-temperature safety cut-out. It's not practical to replace the immersion with a modern type, because the plumber who...
17
17

Lawn Tractor manuals?
We've charity locally that has recently moved into some ex-farm buildings, does 'Arts' stuff, and has workshops for musical instrument makers/repairers. There is some grass(about an acre or so) I...
4
4

Smell from hot water boiler
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to...
10
10

Feed-in Tariff for wood pellet burner?
Our local paper has a half-page advert for a company supplying stoves that use wood pellets, aka a Biomass Stove. My brother in Germany installed one of these a few years ago, and loves it. This...
3
3

Question for electricians
Hi there, sparkses, I have a 2.2kw phase converter which outputs 230v AC 3 phase from a standard single phase mains supply. This converter is currently powering my 3HP lathe. But I've just bought a...
23
23

Bonding steel to steel
At long last I've found a tuit to start putting a new top on a bench (I was looking for a round tuit and the bench is sqauare - no chance!). It's 2' square, made of 2"x2"x¼" angle iron. The old...
19
19

Modulating thermostat for electric heater???
Does such a thing exist, I am making a chick brooder, the heating will be a 25 watt heat plate above the nest, But as i will be brooding song thrush and blackbird chicks (from my aviary) i need pretty...
17
17

Plastic to metal adhesive
I need to stick a 2M length of plastic coated MDF scotia to an aluminium step edge. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive that's going to last. The ones I have seem to need porous surfaces...
9
9

Boiler & green deal etc
Friend has finally decided to concede a little to the 20th century and get gas CH. He's never had heating as far as I can tell. There's also no CWI in the cavities, but he does have good loft...
16
16

Modern Washing Machines
After 8 years our washing machine (HotPoint) needed replacing. Now, we have a large household (grand-parents, kids, us), and the machine gets used a LOT, probably 2-3 washes a day, and 5-6 Sat/SUn. My...
69
69

Raised toilet pedestal - wood to plastic
My mum has arthritis of the knees, so when we bought our house and did it up, one of the things we did was to raise toilets about 2 inches by building them on a simple plywood (layered) pedestal. The...
15
15

how high to pile a skip
I have a 8 yard (cubic) skip with a door. We are sorting out the patio whic h was built too high years ago. We barrowed the soil type waste into the sk ip, then shut the door and piled up with broken...
8
8

O/T - Chainsaw Health & Safety (Swedish style)
Thought the following advert for an insect repellent would brighten your day and trigger a few 'Ouch' responses:- If you liked that one, then you may like these as well:- Sorry it's a bit O/T but I...
2
2

Paging ARW
Have you not had an apprentices recently? I enjoy reading about their intrepid goings on! Or have I missed your posts?
3
3