Subject Author Posted Replies

Pin and strap hinge
My covered sideway has a very old door mounted on a pin and strap hinge. Somewhere over the decades/centuries the bottom fixing has worn to give significant play (a mm or 2 around the pin), leading to...
15
15

Electric wheelchair - how far should it go on a charge?
A friend of mine has an electric wheelchair, it's a cheap Chinese one and i t has two lead acid batteries. He seems to want to buy some more batteries for it and I'm convinced he doe sn't need to as...
34
34

No good deed goes unpunished
or so they say. Well I have just offered to rewire one of the villages Scout hut lights for free (the roof collapsed). So what will be the punishment?
21
21

Chromeed Pipework
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom. The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too. The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used...
16
16

Ceramic tap cartridges
OK - that was a bummer... 4 new 1/4 turn lever taps, less than a year old. One failed (dripping). Circlip holding gubbins together was rusted away. Other 3 taps all have copper coloured circlips, with...
4
4

trustpilot
'We care about your opinion and want to improve our service please leave a review on trustpilot' or some such thing. A boiler part has not arrived. I paid online 10 days ago and have heard nothing...
19
19

mitre saw that uses 900Watt or less?
Does anyone know of a simple mitre saw that uses less than 900 Watts (240V). i want to be able to run it on a Honda 1.0i generator which is rated at 900W continuous, 1000W short burst. This is the...
16
16

Topical problem
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter, please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working...
33
33

What protection do crimped connections need (under floor)
I had to cut some (mains lighting) wires to diagnose a light that wasn't working. (Turned out to be a failed wire running up from a switch in a conduit, can't replace for the moment). So I need to...
17
17

DIT Storage heaters
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiat ors and get a bloke to install an electric CH...
46
46

fox want to buy sky.
The bbc appear to have it right "Sterling's 16% fall against the US dollar in the wake of the Brexit vote has made UK companies more attractive targets for foreign companies." Pretty soon the likes of...
22
22

Touch lamp
I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in response to touching it. Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some kind of pottery. If I paint it with...
20
20

How can this work?
variant=28436461069 Without something to hold the body from rotating? See related links to what you are looking for. See related links to what you are looking for.
13
13

Lap top battery Longevity
There's a lot of information about that if you keep a Laptop battery charged between only 80% full and only 40% full, it will be servicable over the years for four times as long. Other information I...
39
39

Trenching for domestic services.
What do the electricity, gas and water companies require by way of trench depth, separation of ducts, marking etc. for extending and moving services to a fresh location? I have found on-line suppliers...
14
14