Pin and strap hinge

My covered sideway has a very old door mounted on a pin and strap hinge. Somewhere over the decades/centuries the bottom fixing has worn to give significant play (a mm or 2 around the pin), leading to the door dropping. It doesn't look like the strap has opened, so I guess the problem is just wear, possibly on both parts. A previous owner clearly bodged this by wrapping some fairly stiff plastic around the pin but this has now gone brittle and worked its way out, with the result that the tongue of the yale-type lock doesn't engage. Although lifting the door on closing it deals with this, I seem to be the only person who can do this (!) For the moment, I've repositioned the lock keep to make it work, but this will get progressively worse. I've scoured all the sources I can find for a similar hinge but no joy, so I'm wondering what my options are. I could repeat the previous bodge, if I could think of a tough enough plastic strip, but I haven't had the necessary inspiration yet. I suspect it would be simpler to just re-jig the frame and use conventional hinges than to do any over-elaborate metal work, but I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas for fixing this.

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

A kitchen bin usually provides the necessary plastic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you tried Google? It brings up quite a range for me both with a screw in pintle and "pintle on a plate" types.

If you can live with T hinges, then they are all over the place Screwfix, toolstation etc

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Where did you look for hinges? Tesco??? Even Screwfix have quite a range of Strap and pin hinges

Reply to
Bob Minchin

This type of hinge is normally fitted to garden gates and similar. You can find them under "landscaping" in Screwfix and fence/gate suppliers.

Normally wear can be adjusted by moving the pin. You might have to block the existing screw holes by gluing in wooden plugs.

Reply to
harry

All over actually. This has an offset pin set into the mortar, rather than being on a plate, and I haven't been able to identify one with anything like this geometry. To be fair, it's bound to be over a century old.

Reply to
GMM

Sounds like you've been there...I wonder if SWMBO will notice if I cut a strip from the back.....

Reply to
GMM

not the bin itself, the contents :P

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What's the pin diameter? Plenty of this type of thing around

Also Countrywide Farmers, and IIRC Toolstation and Screwfix.

Also this type

newshound

Put a piece of copper pipng around the pin. You may have to do a bit of cutting and bending fo get the correct fit.

Reply to
Capitol

If it's only the bottom strap that's worn, swapping top and bottom straps over may help a bit, but I guess both will have worn by a similar amount, so probably not a solution. Can you sleeve the pin, with a bit of copper pipe for example, or is the wear not enough to accommodate such a sleeve? If the pipe diameter is too small to fit the pin, can you cut a slit lengthwise along the pipe and open it up slightly? Or if the pipe is too large, make two lengthwise cuts and squeeze the slot closed?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

F Murtz

I agree with all the previous suggestions about sleeving, indeed I have just done something very similar although for an iron five bar gate. I was lucky, I was able to do it with Glacier DU bushes, so it should easily last the next couple of hundred years.

Worth saying that if you want a matching replacement for the offset pin, a good blacksmith should be able to help you. Some might ask silly money, others might not. An adequate replacement might not need a lot of forging, it may be possible to weld a pin to some plate in order to fake it.

Reply to
newshound

depleted uranium is probably not the ideal material for hinges.

But hey if it works.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Now that's the answer that had been eluding me! The pin is about 20mm, so a piece of 22mm pipe might just be the right fit, or at least close enough to only require a slit along the length, and should be close enough in thickness (fingers crossed!) Now, if I can only find a bit on my collection of old plumbing parts, I might have a chance of sorting it tomorrow.

Many thanks

Reply to
GMM

I think I only need to sort the bottom hinge as that's where all the play seems to be, but sleeving with copper seems well worth a try before swapping straps, since they've been painted over quite a few times, so it would take a lot more to get it looking reasonable. There's bound to be a snag somewhere of course....

Reply to
GMM