100w Light Bulbs.

... So much for global warming.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Well the 700 lumen figures I quoted are from "pearl" bulbs. The "soft tone" bulbs I have don't have an ABC "energy effciency" chart on them to= show the lumens or have that info else where on the pacakaging. GLS is pearl is it not or are you saying everyone uses clear, which I will dispute. I certainly don't like clear tungsten bulbs, far too harsh, and= from memory of shop shelves and other peoples homes clear are not that commonly used.

Either way the pearl 60W tungsten still pushes out more light than the "60W equivalent" 11W CFL lamp. Some thing for the ASA to look at...

The ones here are treated just as a tungsten light would be in fittings =

that would normally have a tungsten bulb. Got to admit I don't have them= in any exterior fittings beacause of the awful performance when cold and= at 1400' it is noticeably colder than at lower levels.

Well quite, 6 x 8.98 =3D =A353.88, which is why I did the maths to see h= ow long the payback period would be, TBH I was surprised at the 6 months result I was expecting 12 months or longer. It would be shorter now as lecky is 3p/unit more expensive than it was back then and I don't think =

the price of the same CFLs has changed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They've started calling it 'Climate Change' now...moving the goalposts, or what?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I prefer "climate reform".

Reply to
Reentrant

You appear to have misplaced your smiley :)

Reply to
Jules

Yes, the last time I MOTed something old in the UK they just did the smoke-test; it was completely emissions-exempt. I think 1974 was the cut-off date, but I'm not sure if there was a specific month.

Reply to
Jules

All they had in my Tesco today was @ 2.49.

I could buy an "economy" 11 W for 35p.

They didn't have any 100W normal bulbs, neither did the (local) cheepie store, nor did Wilkinsons. Dyas only had screw fittings (I actually have one lamp that takes these so I bought 5 years supply, i.e 2), ditto Wicks.

So, unless I going to risk a round trip 8 mile bike ride to B&Q (with no guarantee of success), looks like I am stuffed.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You can get CFLs "inside" candles now.

They look quite nice actually, but I think are only 25W equivalents

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I have no problem with throwing away a 20p light bulb early.

I do have a problem with throwing away a GBP 6.49 (which is what the higher rated ones in Wicks were costing today) light bulb early

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Using a dimmer will reduce the energy consumption. It will however also reduce the efficiency of the lamps in terms of lumens per watt. Then again, so what? The purpose of dimmers is to control the lighting levels, not save energy.

Depends on when and how you dim really. If you regularly run lots of high power lighting at a small fraction of its regular output, then you would be better off with a switchbank and/or smaller bulbs. If however what you want is the occasional ability to lower the lighting level, or just trim a small reduction in brightness in (plus a corresponding increase in lamp life) then they are just the ticket. They are also simpler to retrofit in most cases than banked switching.

Reply to
John Rumm

Surely that should be climate "investment" ? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Bruce wrote: : snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote: : >

: >I don't know the exact reason why people don't want CFLs

: From previous discussions on here (not speculation):

: 1. The 5X equivalence factor is dishonest. A 20W CFL gives much less : light than a 100W incandescent despite claims that they are equivalent.

Agreed. The thing that puzzles me is the the non-availability of higher power CFLs. A slightly higher power CFL that was genuinely equivalent to a 100W or better still a 150W incandescent bulb would be useful. Is it an engineering problem or the perceived lack of a market?

Regards. Tom Crane

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Reply to
<Use-Author-Supplied-Address-H

OK. I'll get one and try it. I'm open to trying things. How much would one typically cost that would replace a 100w bayonet bulb?

Reply to
David in Normandy

IIUC Pearl "soft tone". i.e. Pearl and Clear are still basically ordinary GLS lamps, soft tone is something different.

You may find there is wriggle room for the makers, in that the dispersion pattern may be different. If you capture all the light emitted in all directions the CFL may perform better on paper than it appears to in real life. The fact that the physical size difference and the lack of a point source tends to alter the focussing and dispersing effects of the lamp shades / reflectors etc does not help either.

All my external lights are PIR switched anyway - so CFL would gain me nothing really in that application. I want instant light in the cold and dark, and I want it for 3 mins at a time - not something they are well suited to.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the electronics of dimmer switches have changed since 20 years ago. I don't know the details, just something I vaguely remember reading somewhere.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I think the frequency that was being referred to what that of set replacement, not screen refresh.

Reply to
John Rumm

The slow start is a decided advantage when using the facilities at night.

Reply to
<me9

"That worldwide heating thing" as one US chap once said to me...

Reply to
Jules

It's engineering. If you look at CFLs, you'll see the tube length increases as the power rating goes up - it's very obvious on the spiral ones. For a 150 watt equivalent, the length of tube gets so long you cannot reasonably call them 'compact' any more, and they don't fit into fixtures designed for 100W or 150W GLS lamps. Allied with this is that the higher power ones dissipate more heat, so in a typical situation (for a GLS lamp) of base uppermost in a pendant fixture, the electronics rapidly get cooked. The electrolytic capacitors don't like this, so the lifetime of the electronics becomes shortened - often radically.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

In message , Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1] writes

I've been looking for these as well: most of the rooms we use regularly have bulbs of 100 or 150W at present, and I still haven't been able to find anything efficient to replace them with. We've got a small stock of these, hope they don't run out before a satisfactory replacement appears on the market.

Reply to
Clive Page