guitar info

hello, I have an epiphone Les Paul and I want to make it, well, better. I had a few questions for anyone who is willing to answer them:

  1. The Neck: I hate dot inlays and wanted to know if you can still route the fingerboard to put in standard square inlays. Also, I wanted to stain the fingerboard black, and was wondering if the stain would mess up th inlays.

  1. I also wanted to add chrome pickup covers onto the open coil humbuckers. Is it a MUST to wax-pot them, or can you just use electrical tape? If not, does regular candle wax work for this?

thanks!

Reply to
THE_RAIDER

Hello Raider,

I have a Gibson Les paul and I recomend against routering in square in-lays and also staining it. Reason for that is if you leave even the slightest burr or low spot on the neck, you will get and out of tune guitar string at certain fret positions depending on where you have a low spot etc...if you leave any burrs, you will catch them when you want to pull or stretch a string while playing. Reason why I recomend against staining your neck is because the moisture given to the neck from staining could warp your neck. This all having been said I recomend you just go out and buy another neck that you like with the square inlays. I'm sure a guitar repair shop would maybe take your old neck on a trade. And no....you don't have to wax-pot your humbuckers....electricial tape will work fine...Hope I was of some help..

Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil