question about hot water baseboard

I have Suntemp hot water baseboards- model "Imperial 700A".
I know next to nothing about plumbing.
I have some rooms that I don't care to heat. I just close the "thing"- don't know what it's called- to keep air from flowing up and out. I just took the end cap off and noticed that there is some sort of valve. It looks like it's adjustable with a screwdriver. Is this just for "bleeding" air out of the pipe or will this stop the flow of water into the baseboard, which is what I'd like to do? Or is it best to not stop the flow?
Joe

closing the damper will reduce the out put roughly 50%, pull the cover and wrap the fins with tinfoil to reduce the surface area exposed. A cheap effective way to shut it down or fine tune it.
kenny b