Bleeding Radiator System

What is the proper way to bleed a hot water radiator system?
I just can not get rid of this loud thunk that occurs approx.10-15 seconds after circulator pump turns on.
Thank You in advance for your help.
do your radiators have working bleeders on them? You prob should have a pro do this. NOT a job for the homeowner.

Yes, all radiators have working bleeders.

seconds
IF you have a working boiler feeder ypu might be able to get the job done with just thoose bleeders.

BTW I must ask you why you think the thud is being caused by air. The thud could be from expansion.

I did not have this problem last year. Just a thought about the air. This is the closest radiator to the boiler. I can stand next to the radiator and hear the loud thud, if I wait for next heating cycle and stand next to pipes in basement below the radiator I also hear it there. If the system is bleed completely should I hear gurgle then flow, a couple of seconds later gurgle then flow or should I hear nothing??

you should hear nothing. the gurgle sound is a sign of air. i suspect the thud is something else. do you think the pipe going through floor could be rubbing?

It is a 1920's home, the rubbing is possible. I bleed the radiators several time the thud could possibly be a big air bubble burping.... How could I make sure all the air is out? If the bleeding doesn't work.

well from there you would have to force water through and purge it down by the boiler on the return manifold. you use either a pump or a bolier feeder set to the "fast fill" position. You can prob get it all with the bleeders though as long as you are getting circulation.

There is no such fitting at the boiler to bleed it from. The fill is controlled by a Watts Series 1156 valve. I can open this auto-fill valve to allow water in system but with it goes a pressure increase, the system is running at 14psi ( the correct pressure to run is 1 lb/1 ft of rise from the gauge --correct?)( It is 14-14 .5 ft from the gauge to the top of the second floor radiator) There are no automatic vents installed in the system. What are your thoughts on expansion tanks: steel tank vs a bladder tank?

14 psi is prob just perfect. I like to jack em up to 18-20 after I service them.\ You will need to install a shutoff valve along with a purge on the return. (purge is just a tee you thread a boiler drain into.) The water goes out through the supply and tries to come back through return. You have shut the valve though so it can't. Instead the water goes out the purge you installed. Attach a hose to it and run it outside. Put the boiler feeder into the auto-fill position and water and air will come out the hose. You need to keep a close eye on the boiler pressure guage. Try to keep it right at 20 psi. If the pressure drops too low then close the boiler drain the hose is connected too a little. this will allow the boiler feeder to catch up and bring pressure back up. When the pressure starts to build too high (30-35 psi and relief valve blows and makes mess) you just open the hose a little to let more water/pressure out. You will find a point where the pressure will stay pretty even. Let that go for like 20-30 min. You will hear any air.
Otherwise just bleed the air out of each rad one at a time. Personally I think you will get the job done fine this way. I usually go around and do that anyway even if I bleed it with purge valve.

Fitzgibbons Model 402 Boiler Is it normal to have 6 restristor plates in the heat exchanger tubes missing?