Bleeding Radiator

My mum's got an unusual radiator in her bathroom that does not have a valve at the top to bleed it. It appears to be completely sealed apart from the two pipes at the bottom. However, on the back facing the wall at the top of it is what looks like a small convex cap about 1cm in diameter. Is this of significance? I didn't want to see if it would prise off.

Dave

Reply to
David

Dave, I have read of such locations for bleed screws in this NG in the last

3 months but not encountered them myself.

Boldly Prise!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Dave

This will most likely be a plastic cap covering the bleed screw much like my radiators, just use a small screwdriver or fingernail to prise the cap off.

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Thanks. I'll have a look next time I'm over there. But being at the back, there's less than 2 inches between it and the wall so will have to find a very short screwdriver.

Dave

Reply to
David

Mine were all like that, except they no longer have the domed cap, just the bleed valve below.

Reply to
<me9

Just use your thumbnail Dave, they should come off easy enough - bit of a pain to bleed though, especially if you use the crappy soft bleed keys supplied with the rads which round off. I had to inject some system cleaner into one of my rads last weekend and it was a bit awkward as there isn't much room but it is doable.

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

The screwdriver can be as long as your wish as it's applied sideways to prize off the cap. There should be (just) enough room to get your bleed key between the valve and the wall.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Can't see a problem getting the cap off, but I don't have a bleed key. Is it just a screw or a nut under the cap? Why are they fitted at the back? With the cap in place its hardly noticable when the cap's in place if it was at the front.

Dave

Reply to
David

There would be some who would complain even so. The only effective tool is a radiator bleed key (one free with most new rads). You can also purchase them separately. There really is no substitute the valve 'nut' is approx 4mm AF and square.

Reply to
Ed Sirett