Working alone with heavy granite slabs.

I'm going to have 4 counter size granite slabs loaded on to my truck. How do I unload and place it on the counter top by myself? I could saw it in half but don't really want to. I guess I need a gantry crane and hydraulic table. Has anyone moved a good size slab by himself without breaking it or doing damage to the kitchen cabinets, especially a slab with a kitchen sink cutout or a large island slab?

Reply to
** Frank **

they use large suction cup equipped handles and rubber lined tongs to move these, like large and heavy glass panes. i would say it's going to be almost impossible to do this yourself without the proper tools, especially if it has cutouts which are WAY more fragile, without cracking it.

regards, charlie

charlie

your talking many thousands of dollars .. get a friend to help you. If they aren't installed properly they will crack.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lewis

The upside to doing it yourself is that you'll save 50 or 100 bucks and spend five times as much time to get most likely inferior results. The downside is almost unlimited.

RicodJour

Where do you get anyone to do it for 100 bucks? 100 bucks would be just enough for the plywood underlayment, color matching epoxy, and silicone caulking. A set of diamond polishing pads is already $100 bucks not to mention the diamond core bit. Labor here for laying the slabs for an average kitchen with undermount cutout is around $1,250. I figure it would take me a day with much of the time doing the undermount cutout, much less time for overmount. Often a DIY'er would do a better job because he spends more time and pay more attention to details so why would the results be inferior?

Reply to
** Frank **

Get 3 friends..They're HEAVY and often awkward. One of ours weighed 450#

Reply to
Rudy

You will not be able to do this by yourself. Charlie is correct we use handles equipped with suction cups to move pieces by hand and always with more that one. Ggranite that is 3cm or about 1 1/4" thick is 23 lbs per square foot. That's a lot of weight. Also, if you twist a piece wrong it will snap in two.

I would suggest contacting a local granite fabricator and asking what they charge for labor. Many fabricators will just install granite pieces for you even though they didn't fabricate the piece. This shouldn't be too terribly expensive (although I would guess more than $100) It will probably save you a lot of money in the long run and possibly some doctors bills for injured backs.

Good Luck, Lynn

carrollstileandstone