wood floor in the kitchen?

We are pondering re-doing the floors in our new house. We are thinking basically wood everywhere, except tile in the bathrooms. But we are worried about using wood in the kitchen. Has anyone had problems with wood floors in the kitchen? I'm not sure what I am afraid of exactly, just the idea that there is lots of liquid around, just waiting to find its way to the floor..
Bob B.

It depends. If my mother in law stops by, there will be an 8 oz sample of every possible wet product spilled on the floor, and then walked on as if it weren't there. Are there any slobs like that in your house? In answering this question, don't hesitate to link the word "slob" to any teenagers, no matter how much you like them.
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:12:09 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Have you ever noticed that if there are things on the passenger seat of the car, that people outside the family will just sit on them when they get in the car. And they'll rest their feet, practically stand, on anything on the floor, without trying to move things around to get to the carpet,?
And these are people who aren't slobs the rest of the time afaik.

Fucking in-laws....

I did it once. NEVER again. No matter how careful you are there will be wet accidents. A pot of boiling water for pasta ruined my kitchen floor. Dinner was stopped immediately and all went to work getting the floor cleaned up. My caulking on the edges, failed, the cover poly coat only slowed down the boiling water. Next day I could see I was going to be replacing the floor,,,,,,,,,,, this time with tile.
Your performance and mileage may be different.
Bob B. wrote:

I'm the kind of slob who practically needs a drain in the middle of the kitchen floor - don't do it if there's anybody like me around!

We are on the second house with a wood floor in the kitchen. You gotta be a little more careful, but we are. We'll do it again if we move again.

If your were a client, I'd be cautioning you ... BUT we have hardwood in one house and laminate in another. Four years, no problems.
Ken
I wouldnt install laminate floor in the kitchen, but a nice oak one with lots of poly on it might due fine. I plan on doing that in my kitchen. Its a nice look.
Ken--So how is the laminate holding up? Is it better than the wood for "slobs"?
Thanks.
Dave

<grin> It's pretty good stuff ... called Aqua Lock (made inGermany). It runs from the front entry to the back, then across the back of the house (bath, laundry, kitchen, family room).
I put it in because my flooring supplier had it in his house and his wife loved the way it performed. . Louise and I wanted hardwood .. but we have a big, excitable dog and he'd scratch the hell out of hardwood. So, this stuff -- which seems pretty indestructable.
It's not cheap ... I believe it's about five bucks a square foot at retail ... I doubt the Chinese crap HD is selling for 88 cents a square foot would hold up as well .... bu t...
Ken
I have an engineered hardwood (Mannington hickory) in my kitchen and it looks wonderful. It's been 3 years now and it is holding up OK, but I expect it will need to be either refinished or replaced at some point within the next 10 years. I have had no issues with water spills harming it. It does have a couple of problems though. A dropped jar will dent it, a chair leg can scratch it, but the biggest issue is moving appliances. It is really sensitive to marring if you slide a fridge or stove across it. To me that is the single biggest drawback.
I'd go hardwood, nice and warm. Tile is very hard and the legs. Laminate won't witstand too much water damage and will need replacing much sooner.