Wood floor in kitchen

Almost 2 years ago we remodeled our house and kitchen. We used wood floors in the kitchen. The floor is showing wear already. I strongly feel that the floor guy did not put down the 3 coats of poly that the builder said that they did.

What are my options ?

It is red oak with a natural finish. The adjacent / connecting rooms all have wood floors.

Can I buff it out and recoat it ? What would be some recommended brands of finish ?

TIA - Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm not a huge fan of wood floor in a kitchen (lived in / owned a couple of houses with wood in kitchen)

IMO tile is the high end way to go & I'd prefer linoleum to wood

if you're set on wood

google ....... swedish floor finish

it's kinda nasty stuff going on (I'd suggest a pro do it for you) but it is WAY better than even the best waterborne stuff

I had floors done 20 years ago (main floor of the house) recently i had the upstairs bedrooms done after removing carpet. I let the recetn guy talk me into waterborne (easier for him) nowhere near has tough a finish but the upstairs doesn't get the traffic & the kids are gone.

When (if) I ever re-do them......they'll be swedish floor finish!

cheers Bob

I don't know the required prep for swedish floor finish over exisitng....we drum sanded down to bare wood......ask pro about compatitiblity.

Reply to
Bobk207

Kitchens get a lot of wear, be glad you have a light finish. Wear socks instead of shoes in the house so you don't have shoes pounding the grit into the floor.

mrsgator88

All finishes are not equal. Choosing the type and brand of finish is very important. Finish hardness and wear resistance are not synonymous. I recommend "Bona Traffic". See this Taber wear test results table:

details on applying "Bona Traffic" see this product spec sheet:
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff