Repair cloudy polyurethane floors?

My wife and I sanded and stained our hard wood floors, we stained with a very dark mahogany colored stain and put on 2 coats, the floors are nearly black with a hint or red, we applied 2 coats of water based polyurethane and the floors looked great for about a month until we used mop-n-glo to mop the floor, now the entire floor has cloudy patches all over it, my wife said she tried some floor wax on a spot but it didnt fix it. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix the clouds?

Thanks,

Jerrit

Reply to
Jerrit Tyler

I would wait several weeks and see what happens. Will probably fix itself as the Mop and Glow wears off.

Or try a cleaner made for polyurethaned hardwood floors. Available at supermarkets or Home Depot/Lowes. We use the one made by Bruce and it is a good cleaner.

Do not wax polyurethane floors.

Reply to
Art

Try washing them with plain water or with a wax remover. You could try a little ammonia in a spot to see what the results are.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

you should talk to the manufacturer of your floor finish, youve had a chemical reaction possibly because the floor wasnt cured. Dont use wax You may need to recoat.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for all of your help, I will try all of these suggestions.

When you say "Dont use wax" is Mop-n-glo considered a wax in liquid form?

Thanks,

Jerrit

Reply to
Jerrit Tyler

I wouldnt use anything on a New finish except a damp mop, and even years later why risk introducing a contaminent that may affect future recoat bonding. Follow can instructions. Finishes take maybe 6 months to fully cure some more some less. You dont know what chemical reactions you are exposing your floor to. One worry i have is youve put only 2 coats , below the minimum needed to build a film or allow for wear or real sanding - screening. If this product penetrated and contaminated the floor finish sanding to remove the bad layer may go to wood ruining your total job as a floor with 2 coats is minimal in film thickness.. Floors should have a minimum 4 coats. 2 will also wear through to wood rapidly in normal wear.Talk to the product mnfg for help, you realy may need a real pro so you dont mess up the repair. Or you hopefully will get lucky and be directed to an easy fix, like time will cure it. Or a simple recoat . good luck

Reply to
m Ransley

What brand poly did you use? It sounds like the water was absorbed into the finish. It should clear up with time. Most commercial grade poly is able to be cleaned after one week max. If you used a lesser grade, than it might take longer for the poly to cure.

Reply to
Tim CF

I think there is more to it than that. I was warned in no uncertain terms to not clean a Bonakemi Mega finish (by Bonakemi techs) with anything but water or their floor cleaner. no mop 'n glo, no wax, no solvents, no NUTTIN' else. I figure they know more about it than I do.

dave

Tim CF wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Oil paint can take a year, curing for years. oil Poly varnish 6 mo. Acrilic - 3 mo but adverse chemicals ?

Reply to
m Ransley